puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Grumpy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have any suggustions on how I can control the algae in my Puffer tank. I have a Porcuupine and a Dog Faced with LR and LS. I was told not to use snails and crabs as the fish will eat them. How do I stop the growth. I thought about a Tang. Any suggustions would be appreciated.

if you dont want to add any critters, you could make a refugeum and use macro algae to control algae in the display tank.

In my puffer tank, I use RO/DI water and do frequent water changes to keep nutrients under control. I get some algae, but it doesn't get out of control. Are you using a skimmer? That would remove some of the nutrients that are causing the algae problem as well.

In my puffer tank I just have a lto of water flow to keep particles of food from settling on the bottom. Frequent water changes and a skimmer would take care of a lot of this and some macro algae would work great as well. I think I"m going to build a fuge for mine if I can figure out where to put it.

I do use r/o water with frequent water changes. I might be running the lights too long..about 9 hours a day. I do have a skimmer. It just kind of exploded on the whole tank.

9 hours a day is fine on the lighting. You could also run GAC or chemi-pure to help remove some of the nutrients from the water.

Do the water changes with RODI and get a HUGE SKIMMER!!!! They will definately pollute your water! I would second the carbon as well

I've taken to turning OFF the lights for a few weeks to keep the hair algae from growing. The Porcupine Puffer doesn't seem to mind. I've been looking for a conch or cowrie but they seldom have them for sale around here. Hair algae is a huge problem in puffer tanks where snails don't survive for long. I've tried king size turbos but he(she?) keeps knocking them off the glass. I can't keep righting them and they die.

Just part of the game I guess.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom