Pufferfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Blue Dot Toby, Saddle Valentini, Spotted Toby, Leopard....according to Aquacon, Live Aquaria, Saltwater Fish Handbook.

All still need tanks bigger then 20 gallons. Also they are agressive so not many tank mates...

I would say the saddleback could go into a 30... Not a 20. Jmo. And they would be the best for small tanks.

A green spotted puffer would do fine in the tank most likely with good filtration. He would have to be in it alone though. I got mine at walmart in freshwater and raised him up to salt water and hes doing fine in my 30 along with a blue damsel.

bigben2057 said:
A green spotted puffer would do fine in the tank most likely with good filtration. He would have to be in it alone though. I got mine at walmart in freshwater and raised him up to salt water and hes doing fine in my 30 along with a blue damsel.

Wait a minute! You managed to get a freshwater fish to survive in a saltwater tank? How?

Slowww acclimation. That puffer is a fish that lives in brackish water, so they can be converted to salt if done correctly. You can also convert mollies, ghost shrimp, certain gobies etc

Green spotted puffer is not a freshwater fish. They are a high-end brackish water fish, but are best kept in saltwater in captivity. People who have kept them in freshwater are only able to keep them for a few years before premature death. These fish are able to live past 15 years under saltwater captivity. A 20g is way too small for a green spotted puffer. 30g is the bare minimum with no live rocks, but even that is on the small side.

The only decent size puffer for a 20 gallon is the figure 8 puffer they are a brackish fish(about 1.05 salinity) and are great little fish. They have all the personality of their larger cousins(mine eats out of my hand and greets me every time i'm near the tank). 15 gallons is the minimum for 1 with nothing else in the tank. Keep in mind if you do decide to get a brackish puffer a lot of LFS keep them in fresh water and you will slowly have to raise the salt levels to brackish(both the green spot and figure 8 do much better in brackish).

Tropical Fish for Brackish Aquariums: Figure 8 Puffer

Back
Top Bottom