Pulsing xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclebob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Xenia's are struggling and this discourages me because they are suppose to be the easiest coral to maintain. I don't have extra cash to buy better lighting right now, which I think would help. I built a shelf to increase lighting distance, any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bobby

Attachments

• image-758374099.jpg
    image-758374099.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 118
Pulsing xenia can be very difficult actually for some systems to keep alive and from my experience with it it doesn't matter low light, high light, low flow, or high flow they'll grow in it all

From what I've seen and researched, they like dirtier water. If your water is really clean/ your tank is newly set up, that might be your problem.

10 gallon and I'm not sure of light power. It's some small LED bulbs

What kind of water flow do you have? My Xenias look great swaying and standing up when my power head is on, but when I pause it to feed the fish they slump over and look pathetic until the current starts again.

Unclebob said:
10 gallon and I'm not sure of light power. It's some small LED bulbs

My xenia's are on the bottom of my tank under a 250 MH and that area gets a very decent amount of flow. They don't pulse that much in the flow or at least it's hard to notice it. That being said, mine grow very well in fairly high light and medium/high flow.

Lastly....not being a jerk buddy, but you really should know how much light power you have in your tank. How do you know what you can grow and what you absolutely should not even try? Definitely find out how many watts per led Ur running and all that good stuff. I think most would agree that it's important to know.

Good luck!!

Xenias will either thrive or die off. And they can be thriving for years and then all die off for no apparent reasons. I would be more concern that you do not know much about your set up and the other inhabitants. And with a small 10 gallon tank, things can go very wrong very quickly as you do not have the water volume. You really need to know your tank, equipment and normal water conditions inside and out.

You can buy 1ft T5 fixtures from ebay for real cheap, that will do you over a 10gallon, at least for now.

They are like 3x8w, it's gonna be better than just the LED fixture.

Back
Top Bottom