Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Pulsing Xenia

I bought my Xenia about 2 weeks ago and i havent noticed any growth in it. i have been feeding it zooplankton and giving it sufficient light. how long before i notice a growth? Also, how can i speed up my coraline growth in my tank. i am already using purple up.

artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via AIM to TheChad
We will need more info.

Tanks Size, Tank Parameters, Type of Lighting, Power of Lighting, Location of Xenia in the tank, Low flow area, high flow area?, What else is in your tank?

As for the Xenia's, I put mine it, and noticed growth within a couple of weeks. I am runnin 4wpg, and have a very stable tank.

As for coraline, You need to have your tank parameters PERFECT before you will starting noticing coraline growth, Once it starts, as long as you keep your tank stable with all the right parameters, it will begin to grow pretty rapidly.

What's your magnesium level? What's your Calcium level? PH? dKH?

Purple up is NOT the cure all for coraline algae as some think. I too purchased purple up thinking it would help, but it didn't untill I found out WHY my coraline wasn't growing. I was low on magnesium, thus no matter how much calcium or purple up I added, nothing would happen, but as soon as I got my magnesium up, my tank just blew up with coraline, and my calcium stays right were it is suppose to be.

Answer those questions, and we will be able to help a little more!

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:55 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I went through the same thing with my tank. As soon as I brought up the magnesium level, the coraline exploded. Now I can't keep it off the front glass.
Fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 12:43 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
When your xenia start to take off, you better watch out, LOL. I wished for the same, now I have a bunch of it. Make sure you keep plenty of LR rubble ready to capture the new xenias. They move around like crazy.
AndyH5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 09:09 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
watch your calcium levels close with the purple up mine got real high realy fast
darron863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #6
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Originally Posted by AndyH5512
When your xenia start to take off, you better watch out, LOL.
I was going to say you better watch what you wish for. Once it takes off it will take over your tank. As far as the corraline , How often are you doing PWC`s? What are your calcium readings and alkalinity readings? Do you already have some LR in your tank with coralline on it for seeding purposes?

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com