Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2007, 05:19 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pulsing Zenia Dying

I've got a healthy Frog Spawn, Brite Green Stars, Green Buttons, Sun Coral, Pearl Bubble, Brown Mushroom.

I only use RO/DI and am running a CoralLife PC on a 46gal. Using a ProClear 75 and large HOB, plus 2 powerheads.

But for whatever reason, my Pulsing Zenia always wither and die. Are they sensative to anything in particular?

AC 300 HOB
AC 402 Powerhead - AC 301 Powerhead
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wish I could give you a more definitive answer but...Xenia remains very much of a mystery coral. It will thrive in one tank and die in another with exact water parameters. For some reason, it will thrive in tank's with poor water parameters and not do well in another with perfect parameters. There is not real rhythm or reason to it. Buying captive breed Xenia seems to increase your luck. Also, the addition of iodine to the tank has been found to greatly increase the health of some Xenia species. I have actually had colonys grow and spread so fast I fragged it and gave it to the LFS. Later, for what ever reason, the entire colony died. I slowly replaced it and now it is thriving again...go figure.

Old 07-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like lando I have no answers either.. had some it did great for a while then died off.. ?? Got some more it was not good at first then took off then my Rusty angel liked it too much.. Moved it into my 55 and it was gone fast..I gave up on buying it, now if I can get some on a trade or free I put it in the tank.. I just got 2 small frags last week and put them in my 15 gal frag tank., and I got 2 pulsing xenia hitch hikers on a zoa rock.. well see how they do?? Not holding my breath for them.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
I started off with a small frag. 1 stock with the 3 pulsing hands on it. Now it has split into 7 stocks and over 100 hands. They are growing far too quickly and i am afraid it is going to take over. So i am going to start fragging this thing and put them on the Barter/Trade section of the forums. All i can say is when my water parameters was at its worse, my pulsing xenia was growing like weeds. lando is right. This is a mystery coral and does thrive in poor water. I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:30 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.
Make sure you buy a test kit for iodine/iodide, so you don't overdose your tank.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
I was adding lugols solution (iodine drops). That stuff works magic. Try it out.
Make sure you buy a test kit for iodine/iodide, so you don't overdose your tank.
Sorry about that. I shouldve said you needed to test. Before you add anything to your tank, make sure you can test for it.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I have had stages where xenia has crazy growth and then I can't keep it. Now it is growing again ...

weird stuff

Tags
dyi, dying

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com