Pump dimensions and Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

magyk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Designing a sump shouldn't be a problem

But what size should hose should I use.

Ideally 1" or 3/4" is what Im looking at how many gallons per hour is this so I can get a pump to match

and say 1" of hose is about 800 gph should I get a pump to equal that or no should I get one that is pumps 600gph

one more ques does a refugium need lights to grow algea or can I just make one without lights

Thank You

Well...it depends on what size pump you intend to use. I would recommend using whatever size pipe that the pump outlet is. For example, a Mag 12 has a 3/4" outlet so I would use 3/4" pipe on it. I'd also use PVC instead of hose. You can put a couple of unions in there so you can get it apart to clean it and a valve for pump removal. It makes for a neater installation and less chance of a leak. If you can get the thinwall PVC (Schedule 20), that's better for aquarium uses. The best setup would probably be a drilled sump with an external pump like a Iwaki or a Little Giant. I think, for a 75, something in the 8-900 gph range would be good. Champion Lighting has a new line of pumps called Blue Line that are supposed to be good.
You will have to have light to grow the macro algae...it'll die without it.
Logan J

Back
Top Bottom