Pump failed - need recommendation fast!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shannono

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my Mag Drive 7 unexpectedly stopped working earlier today, and I need to replace it ASAP. :? I have an All-Glass Megaflow rated at 600GPH. My head height is approximately 4 feet, 3 inches. Can anyone recommend a pump that will push close to 600GPH at that head height?

Thanks!

P.S. When the pump failed, water started running over the top of my aquarium. Should that have happened, or is something else wrong here?

That sounds more like you were pumping in more water than your overflow could handle. Do you have a valve on the return side?

Bearfan said:
Do you have a valve on the return side?

No, I do not have a valve on the return side. The only thing I have done recently is to split the lock line where the water is pumped back into the tank into 2 lock lines using a Y splitter. I did this because I ordered a Mag 9.5 for the tank (hasn't arrived yet), and was told by my LFS that I needed to. Now, after doing a little research, it appears that the Mag 9.5 is probably too powerful for my overflow, and I need a different pump.

Is it possible that there is something wrong with my All-Glass Megaflow? I had added a little over 2 gallons of topoff water when it started to overflow. Perhaps I added too much? :?

I'm pretty sure that my pump is not working properly, because it barely produces any bubbles when it returns to the sump. It was a bubble-producing machine just a few days ago.

IMO the Mag 7 is fine with the head that your pushing.. If it has been working fine then there is no issue with the pump size. The 9.5 might cause some prolbems..
Did you try and clean the 7??? It might need a good cleaning. I have had pumps that would not start after a Power outange and they just needed a good cleaning..

Good luck...
The via aqua pumps are nice units and cheap... You may be able to get one of those fast.

seaham358 said:
...the Mag 7 is fine with the head that your pushing..

Hmmm... well, I went to this site: http://www.living-learning.com/faq/magspecs.htm, and at 4 feet of head height, the Mag Drive 7 pump pushes 480GPH. Don't I need something that pushes closer to 600GPH, which the Megaflow supports? Plus, I'm trying to turn over my water 10-20 times per hour, so I thought I needed a stronger pump.

I will take your advice and clean the pump. I take it I just need to rinse it? There does not appear to be much to clean...

The more GPH the better but you are limited by the overflow. You can probably use a Mag 9.5 but you might need to put a ball valve on it to throttle it back a bit. If you want to run your overflow at its max, you will need to make sure it stays free of algae growth and therefore slow the drain rate down.

I ran a Mag7 on my Megaflow with no issues. I ran PH's inside the tank for more turnover. Put your hand in front of the return and see what pressure you are getting? I would not judge if the pump is working by the bubbles or lack there of. If the tank overflowed due to the pump doing its job, sounds like it is working.

If your looking to increase your flow then a larger pump is needed. I did not read that you wanted a larger pump but I now see that at the bottom of the post.
So like ellisz states a 9.5 could probably work for you. I would split the return line and have 2 points where the water returns to the tank one in each corner. I have a set up like this on both of my tanks and it gives you better flow in the tank with no power heads.
I'm not saying cleaning will fix it... A film/slime builds up on the magnet and other parts and this could be the problem.
I would look into the dual return with the mag 9.5 and then you should not need a valve on the pump... JMO...

Back
Top Bottom