Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 12:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
think they are 1" could be wrong but they standard size for the most part

Sounds good to me.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 01:38 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK I need help in understanding how this works, water goes into the overflow which is in the display tank, How does it get into the sump? If the overflow is hanging on the back of the tank, then in order to get water into the the sump it will have to "flow" into the pipe and down to the sump. I know from there it's pumped back up by the mag 9.5 (which I have decided to use). Just change me name to "dazed and confused" 8O

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-27-2004, 01:46 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok do this !! after you get the box fill the back of the box so water run into your sump !! then add water if needed to the tank so it fills the box inside the tank !! then put an airline into the overflow tube past the top of the tube !! then start your pump in the sump !! then start sucking the air out of the tube !! if ya use the mag 9.5 it will have enough flow to pull out any extra air ya might not get but when ya do this it will start the syphon !! now very important is that the tube on the outside box is higher than the u-tube that runs over the tank!! if not then when the pump turns off it would break the syphon !! most are this way but just want you to look for that !! ya have to do this quite fast or your tank will over flow !! so dont waste much time !! but once ya get the syphon going ya should never have to worry about it !! but i always check that air isnt trapped in the u-tube every week or so ya never know !!
Old 06-27-2004, 01:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK so the "drain pipe" actually sucks water out of the overflow?

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

i wouldnt say it sucks water it more just falls down it !! the u-tube sits right next to it !! so water falls into the back of the box then falls down to your sump
Old 06-27-2004, 02:22 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

See that's what I don't understand. My tank is not drilled, if the water is high enough to get into the overflow would it not simply run out of the aquarium? on the other hand if it can get into the overflow, then how can it get down the tube? I'm not a plummer but even I knwo water don't run up hill with out help.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-27-2004, 02:33 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok lets try this :

-----water line in tank------------- ---------------------------
----------- top of overflow box which would really be at the water line just showing you ok!! all boxes have a way to adjust how high ya want the water to be !! so imo your better to start at the lowest setting !! and then adjust to where ya like !! but the water is forced due to the weight of the water into the first box in the tank thru the u-tube then over the side of the tank then it falls into the back box !! then it falls into the tube in the back box into your sump !! its really easy and when ya get it ya will see !! mabe it be better for you to get a 5 gallon bucket and go out side with a hose and start the syphon and then ya will see what im talking about
Old 06-27-2004, 02:42 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok Maybe when I actually get the overflow I'll understand. But since I have never seen one I think you could explain it until your avitar tuns blue in the face.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-27-2004, 02:45 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

tru heheh serious though take it out side and use a 5 gallon bucket and your hose then ya dont have to worry about flooding anything ya know !! you will get it !! good luck
Old 06-27-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, I'll probally have more dumb questions once I get it here.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
pump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com