Pump Recommendations needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Notafan21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need to replace the pump in my 75 gallon tank. The one I have is old and very noisy. I am wondering what pumps you guys recommend. I need advice on size, and I would like something quiet and halfway affordable... any help would be appreciated.

You want about 5-10x turnover from you sump (as long as your overflow can handle it) AFTER head loss.

I use a Danner Mag Drive and it works great. Quiet & efficient.

Hmmm... i see what you are saying. well its a HOB overflow, it came with my sump, which is rated for up to a 125 gallon tank. I think my overflow is rated for 600 GPH. The hose is 1". Does that make more sense?

Oh... Ok. I thought you meant 125gph. With a 600gph overflow, I'd probably shoot for 400-500 gph after head loss. How high is the top of the tank? I'd guess, without knowing exact head height, that a mag 9 would be a good choice. I am really pleased with my mag 7 on my 40b.

Next question, do you use media reactor(s)? If so, you can size up the pump a few notches, tee off the return line to the reactor and use a ball valve to regulate flow into the tank.

This cuts down an extra pump & allows for pressure from the ball valve to flow through the loop. Win win as they say.

At this time I wont be running any reactors, it will just be used as a return pump. Do you think a mag 9 would be too much? Should I go with a mag 7 instead?

I think a mag 9 would be a good option. At 4' of head height with 4 90's, a check valve, a union, and a ball valve, the mag 9 will push 589gph. You could partially close the ball valve if you needed to. That leaves you some wiggle room.

I would use flexible hose instead of hard plumbing the return. It will cut down on head loss. I would simply drill a small hole in the return just below the water line inside the tank instead of using a check valve. they are not reliable in salt water applications.
Mag drives are fair, but I prefer Quiet one's.

Agreed flex tubing for that size application is ideal. The mag 9.5 uses 3/4". I keep my returns right @ the surface so when the pump kills, less than a gallon drains into the sump. If you want the return below the surface, drill just below the suface & make sure it doesnt clog. Just make sure you have room in the sump either way & you're fine.

I have my return drilled too, but I put in a check valve that has dramatically helped with the burst of bubbles when I turn my pump back on after a water change. I know that their reliability isn't all that great, but it's nice having it. Mine has a union on each side, so that if it does fail, it can be easily replaced.

Back
Top Bottom