Pump selection and placement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a 125 that is 4 1/2 ft long and about 3 1/2 tall...dont hold me to this exactly...Basically its a little deeper than tall....anyway, I have a Mag 12 pushing the return water back from the sump under than tank.
This is a predrilled tank so picture this....the sectioned off portion where the water column is, I have 2 Via Aqua 480's blowing towards the front glass. Then pointing from one end of the tank (left to right) I have 3 Via Aqua's 1300 mounted on the water column for mid and lower level water flow. So in essence I have 4 pumps and the return...is this to much?
This is a FOWLR but I do have an annenome in there....

Secondly I am setting up a 100 gallon that is 5 ft long and isnt very tall. Its NOT predrilled. So I am thinking of running this.....
1- mag 18 or 24 for return
2 - Via Aqua 2600's - one at each end of the tank blowing towards the middle.
Is this to much for a reef that I want it to be??
Let me know how you would arrange it?? and dont laugh as I know I have a LOT of current in both tanks!!!!
Thanks

Then pointing from one end of the tank (left to right) I have 3 Via Aqua's 1300 mounted on the water column for mid and lower level water flow. So in essence I have 4 pumps and the return...is this to much?

Mag 12 = 1200 GPH @ 1' head
2 Via 480 = 2 X 200 GPH
3 Via 1300 = 3 X 370 GPH
------
Total turnover is 2710 GPH which is 21.68x an hour in your tank. It is actually a little less than this as the the Mag 12 probably isn't giving you 1200 GPH.

It is more than you need in a FOWLR, but it shouldn't cause a problem. It just makes sure your fish get their exercise. :)

Secondly I am setting up a 100 gallon that is 5 ft long and isnt very tall. Its NOT predrilled. So I am thinking of running this.....
1- mag 18 or 24 for return
2 - Via Aqua 2600's - one at each end of the tank blowing towards the middle.
Is this to much for a reef that I want it to be??
Let me know how you would arrange it?? and dont laugh as I know I have a LOT of current in both tanks!!!!

Mag 24 - 2400 GPH @ 1' head
2 Via Aqua 2600 - 2 X 740 GPH
-----
Total turnover is 3880 GPH which is 38.8x an hour in a tank that size. Again, this figure is a bit high as the Mag 24 won't run this hard.

What type of reef are you wanting to set up? If it is a softie or LPS system, I would say this would be too much. In a SPS dominate system, you should be ok, buy you may want to think about putting some smaller PH's around the tank instead of having two monsters blowing end to end. This way you can make sure you don't have any dead spots in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom