Pump size for closed loop system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runway1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm soon setting up a 120 gal with a closed loop system. Given about a 4-5 foot head, what size pump would you suggest?

How about for the sump pump as well? It's going to have a 1.5" feed from the tank into the sump/fuge and then, of course, the return. What size should these two pumps be? Thanks!

What kind of tank you going to be setting up a reef? What kind of corals you looking at keeping you will want the pumps to turn the water over in the tank about 15-20 times per hour. I would recommend RIO or MAG pumps. HTH

mag36?

i am in the process of replacing my mag9.5 with a mag 18/24 to get my 15-20cycles/hour

For the sump something like 700-900 GPH turnover and then for the closed loop something like 1000gph turnover. That would give you good flow and should eleminate the need for additional water flow in the tank with powerheads.

Thanks all. I currently have a 55 gal I'm upgrading. I keep mostly softies with two SPS's (birds nest and montipora) right now. I'd like to add 1-2 more SPS and maybe a LPS into the 120.

I know I wanted around 15-20x water turnover but wanted to get a sense of balance (ratio) between the two pumps.

Fishfreek,...sounds good. Your suggestion gives me 15x at 1800 gpm. What pump types do you suggest all? Mags, etc. THANKS!

I like Mag's for submersible pumps. Your close loop you can use an external pump since you simply have an inlet and outlet and for external pumps I like little giant. External pumps are air cooled vs water cooled so they will raise the temp of the water less. I belive the Mags will be water cooled if they are run external.

Back
Top Bottom