Pumping Xenia Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

I just purchased some Pumping Xenia's From a LFS, They are just the brown/tan type.

At the LFS they were all open and pumping.

They are all closed up in my tank.

They have been in there since about 4pm yesterday.

I have moved them a couple of times as the origional places I put them were blowing them around alot.

My lights just turned on about 45 minutes ago.

This is my first coral, So I don't really know what I should expect.

How long after the lights come on do they take to open up?

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

Normally they like anything from a low to moderate flow.
So long as they were properly acclimated and they're under direct light they should start to open and pulse today.
Mine will open and pulse within about 10 minutes of "lights on".
Xenia don't travel well. Especially if they're attached to a heavy rock that batters them around or crushes them in transit.
That's why a lot of hobbyists will send unattached frags to each other.
If they don't open in a couple of days then it usually means they were too stressed/damaged in the move, or they don't like the water in the tank.
Best wishes!

loyalrogue said:
Normally they like anything from a low to moderate flow.
So long as they were properly acclimated and they're under direct light they should start to open and pulse today.
Mine will open and pulse within about 10 minutes of "lights on".
Xenia don't travel well. Especially if they're attached to a heavy rock that batters them around or crushes them in transit.
That's why a lot of hobbyists will send unattached frags to each other.
If they don't open in a couple of days then it usually means they were too stressed/damaged in the move, or they don't like the water in the tank.
Best wishes!

The rock they are attached to isn't real big. I only traveled 45 minutes with them. I drip Acclimated them for ~2 hours. I placed them directly under my VHO lighting, about 1/2 way down from the top of the tank.

They are opening up, but arn't all spread out like they were in the LFS.

My Water Parameters are all good. 80 degrees, 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites, 0 Nitrates, 8.3 PH. I have ~80lbs of LR, and ~80lbs of LS.

Thanks for the help.

-TheChad

They should be fine. They seem to be sensitive to changes, so give them atleast another day or two before dismissing them.
I once got some bad advice from the LFS to add some chemicle to my tank (BIG no no). The pulsing xenias looked as though they were dieing for nearly a week, then came back better than before! Fine ever since. Good Luck!

Corals, like fish need time to acclimate to their new surroundings.

All good advice.
Give them some more time and keep thinking happy thoughts.
Like MrsFuller alluded to, don't go making any drastic changes to their environment right now.
They're sensitive animals and they're already stressed enough from the big move.

Hey Guys,

Now I have a different question....

Is it normal for them to say out/open after lights out?

The lights had been off for several hours yesterday, and they were all still out. My Star Polyps were all in.

Thanks,

-TheChad

I dont see anything wrong with it. Alot of corals close up when the lights go out but some stay out after lights out. I`ve never had any but I`d worry more about them not opening then them staying open.

They have all opened up now, But look like they are being blown around alot. At the LFS they were all streched out and pumping. At home they arn't all streched out. I am guessing because they are being blown around too much?

I just moved my PH's flow's around today, so my Star Polyps are getting more flow, and my pumping Xenia's are getting less, Hopefully that will let them spread out more.

-TheChad

melosu58 said:
I dont see anything wrong with it. Alot of corals close up when the lights go out but some stay out after lights out. I`ve never had any but I`d worry more about them not opening then them staying open.
Exactly.

Open is a good thing.
Most corals open up to feed (on light, phytoplankton, or both), and close up to "sleep" or protect themselves when stressed.
Some corals, like candy canes and bubbles, will "open" after dark and send out a mass of feeding tentacles.

Is there any ambient light in the room?
My xenia will open up long before the tank lights come on if there's enough light/sunlight in the room.

TheChad said:
I just moved my PH's flow's around today, so my Star Polyps are getting more flow, and my pumping Xenia's are getting less, Hopefully that will let them spread out more.

That sounds good.
They like low to moderate flow.
If they're in too heavy a flow they won't be able to stretch out and get the full benefit of the available light.

Anyway, just give your little guys some time to adjust and get on a regular schedule, and everything should be happy, happy. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom