Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-27-2004, 06:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via MSN to NJDevilsWinCup
pumps and overflows

k i got a 33 gal sw aquarium and ive been wanting to get a sump to add more stabiliy since my tank is small. i dont know how to calulate the head loss and gph for the return pump. does wat overflow and pump that will work well together? i want about 300gph.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Size your overflow to flow more water than your pump will output. Different pumps will lose different amounts of GPH at a given headheight so its best to just look at the various pumps and see what they output at the headheight your going to have. I would say start looking at the mag5 as a start. That should give about 300GPH at 4' head if I remember correctly.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:38 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

FF ,

How do you figure that out? I need to make calc for my overflow also.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 06:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Are you making your own overflow? If your buying one they will have a max flowrate on them.

Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Actually Lando has given me one. So I know nothing about it yet. I guess I'll wait until it gets here before I buy the pump. Thanks.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-27-2004, 07:47 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Do you know the make of the overflow?

Most U tube overflows with a 1" drain will be able to support upward to 600-700GPH flow. If its a C shell style overflow then it might be sized smaller.

Old 06-27-2004, 08:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, but just as soon as I get it I'll let you know. Thanks for the help.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-29-2004, 07:55 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

FF,

Got the overflow yesterday, No markings on it but I'll try and post a picture of it later. (letf the camera in the van) I do, however" now understand how this is gonna work. Just need to amek sure the pump is the right size.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
Old 06-29-2004, 10:02 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Wow, that was fast! They told me at the post office it would take until the end of hte week. Glad you got it. The overflow box is left over from my Por-clear 150 sump. I did not need the external overflow as I bought a reef ready tank. I misplaced the directions...probably right into the garbage at one point...and there is little info on the web about this company. No website that I can find. Herre is the phone number...Pro Clear Aquatic Systems 904-448-6800. They are from Jacksonville, FL. They build a very good sump, just wish they offered better on-line support. Maybe if you called them they could email you some directions.
Basically, I sent the inner overflow box, u-tube, the outter box with plumbing fixture and the over-the-back return spout. Good Luck...Lando
Old 06-29-2004, 11:23 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

I sure do appreciate the overflow. Thank you. The offer still stands for at least shipping payment.

Vote for AquariumAdvice

Tags
flow, overflows, pumps

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com