punp as a powerhead?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hackteck

Aquarium Advice Addict
could you use a pump like the type you would use as a return on a overflow as a powerhead to circulate water around your tank?

Sure! There is nothing wrong with using it as a water flow source. You might not be able to "point" it like you could a powerhead and it may take up more room than a powerhead but its job would still be same.

Is it a large pump? You may just be better of getting a powerhead anyway. That way you won't have to worry about placement and concealing a large pump.

You could. I used a mag12 like that before when I was doing a pump replacement. I put a "Y" on the output with locline and directed the current that way. Not sure why you would want to permanently. They are usually much larger than a PH.

well i'm trying to find ways of getting water movement in this aquarium cost effectively heh its 6 feet long and 30' tall so i thought maybe that would work i'm open to other ideas

You could run a closed loop system and then "T-out" the connections from the pump. That way you would have several returns all from the same pump. Although you will need more than one pump for a tank that size. You could use your one pump and then put in some powerheads.

I'd use powerheads if I were you. Not sure how much of a factor cost is, but powerheads are pretty cheap and they move a lot of water....

what site has an aquarium size calculator on it?

Back
Top Bottom