Purple algae killing my sun coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nelix10

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393125727.539264.jpg

Can anyone er amend treatment for this stuff! Happened very quick in a couple days!

Honestly I would rush it into an iodine dip and see if it helps at all. Maybe a 5 min dip?

I assume they are Tubastrea sp. Are these out in the open or in a shaded area? They are non photosynthetic and like moderate flow. They should be located in the shade and hand fed.

Yes they are I keep it in low indirect lighted area and have been hand feeding it ! Half is fine the other half had this purple or black stuff killing it!

This morning I dipped it in coral rx, but decided I did not want to risk the algae spreading so I fragged the sick half and just kept the good half! I feed it by covering it with a bottle too and feed it inside there! Works well, but the last 2 feeds the infected side was not opening!

If it's cyano, it can smother the coral. Try removing it with a blast if water. If it doesn't budge, it may be another type of algae. Unfortunately there is a chance the algae is there because the polyps are deteriorating from other causes.

I know I struggled to feed it in the beginning, so maybe those were weak! The algae would not blast off with water! It looked black when I pulled it out of the tank

Back
Top Bottom