Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-24-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Purple Lobster?

My cyling process should be done in the next 3 weeks.But i was wondering if someone has own a purple lobster before?I was thinking maybe getting one but i have heard it can eat small and medium size fish.In march i will get a valentini puffer but he only gets 4 inches so i dont want him to get eat by the lobster.So do you think eat can eat my fish and my inverts?Plus after the cycling process how many inverts can i put in my tank?

Old 01-24-2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Thanx but no.....

RE: LiveAquaria : described as peaceful, and it will ignore sleeping Wrasses or healthy fish within the aquarium. Caution must be taken when incorporating into a reef aquarium, as it may harm small fish and invertebrates

Old 01-24-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`ve had one for 6 yrs now. IME Mine has not taken out any fish or corals. I really dont know about inverts because I really dont keep up with numbers since I have so many. But here is the flip side. If you are getting a Reef lobster to watch him then you`ll be surely disapointed. I have seen mine probably 5 times in 6 yrs. They hide in the daytime and move around at night. They hide in your LR. If you are satisfied like me knowing that he`s there doing his janitor work then you`ll be OK but if you are getting him to be the showpiece of your tank you are going to be disapointed. Here is mine at night after lights out from several months ago. Not a good pick I know but they dont come out in the open for nothing.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by melosu58 View Post
I`ve had one for 6 yrs now. IME Mine has not taken out any fish or corals. I really dont know about inverts because I really dont keep up with numbers since I have so many. But here is the flip side. If you are getting a Reef lobster to watch him then you`ll be surely disapointed. I have seen mine probably 5 times in 6 yrs. They hide in the daytime and move around at night. They hide in your LR. If you are satisfied like me knowing that he`s there doing his janitor work then you`ll be OK but if you are getting him to be the showpiece of your tank you are going to be disapointed. Here is mine at night after lights out from several months ago. Not a good pick I know but they dont come out in the open for nothing.

Thanks for the info.Now this is the inverts i would like to put in my tank.1 arrow crab,1 eletric blue crab, 1 camel shrimp,1 banded coral shrimp,1 purple lobster.Do you think that all of these will get along?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I have 2 in my tank now for a year. They have not done any harm to any fish or invertebrates but as the previous post mentioned dont expect to ever see them.Several times now I was convinced that the lobsters were dead only to spot them in the middle of the night
Old 01-24-2009, 02:23 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by andysam View Post
I have 2 in my tank now for a year. They have not done any harm to any fish or invertebrates but as the previous post mentioned dont expect to ever see them.Several times now I was convinced that the lobsters were dead only to spot them in the middle of the night
Ok i still need to know if all the inverts i want can get along
Old 01-24-2009, 03:26 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I would be hesitant on the camel shrimp and the arrow crab, as to how many the general rule would be 1 crab per gallon and 1 snail per 1.5 gal
Old 01-24-2009, 05:14 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That arrow can and will spear fish/inverts.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64 View Post
That arrow can and will spear fish/inverts.
Ok those will be my first 2 inverts.How many inverts can i put in at a time?

Tags
lobster

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com