Purple Nudibranch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cushingme

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a Purple Nudibranch and he is beautiful but when I started digging for info it said that they only eat sponge. Has anybody had any luck with these? My LFS is ordering me some sponge and he stated that they are eating the algae in his tank also. He also recommended Prime Reef Food. What kind of luck have people had with these interesting creatures? :?:

Last time I looked this site was not created so others could belittle a newbie.... Just you know I did do research ahead of time but I got the name wrong when I went in to the LFS.... Just in case you didn't know people do make mistakes and I hope you don't talk to everyone on this forum in this manor. :?

Impulse buying is something I think we are all guilty of at one point in time. Yet it's very important to ask these types of questions before hand, and do all the reading possible. Yet as far as your question goes nudibranches are a bit difficult to keep. They will be eating everything in sight, then suddenly dissapear. I think there is just to little known about their special needs. It will consume hair algae, but it more than likely won't live long. Best of luck

I purchased a green lettuce nudibranch about a month ago. He eats some algae, funny thing though. Hos favorite spot is on the glass where there is only a slight film of algae. I have to always clean around him/her/it? I was told that they eat algae as they need the chlorophyll (?) to help them with photosynthesis. They get energy from the light like plants do.

Iv'e made several misinformed purchases. One was a "reef friendly" Sand Perch he grew from one inch to six in about 3 months. Found out he likes feather duster feathers and peppermint shrimp. caught him with a piece of cocktail shrimp in a small jug with my ice fishing pole (barbed flattened) now he is for sale again at the lfs.

The other was a fish sold to me a Scooter Blenny but as it turns out it is a much more expensive Mothers Sailfin Dragonet. It has the most spectacular dorsal fin.

eyebrow.gif

Nope, it was in response to the bit of animosity displayed towards the beginning of the post, just letting everyone know I'm watching ;)

maybe you could find a sponge based food that your nudibranch could take too, i know a lot of foods engineered for angels have high sponge content. HTH and let me know how it turns out- ive been dying to get a purple or lettuce nudi myself.

Back
Top Bottom