Purple Reef Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rush

Aquarium Advice Freak
So a few months back I had bought a purple reef lobster from my local marine store and they said he would not touch any of my fish. Low and behold all my small fish started to disappear starting with my tail spot blenne. Then my stripper, then my red head and then one of my small Anthea's. This was over a course of a month or two. I was wondering what was happening to them but my suspects lie within the caves of my live rock with that purple reef lobster. He has not touched any of my peppermint shrimp nor the cleaner shrimp but has anyone else had issues with these guys?

That was in my 46 gallon bow front, I have since transferred everything to a 112 gallon, will this help? Do you think it is worth me mentioning to my local marine store see if they can replace maybe a fish or two?

When I emptied out the 46 not a single trace of those fish anywhere so they were obviously eaten. He is the only semi aggressive thing in my tank.

Now that he is in a 112, do you think I will have the same problems if I put some smaller fish in there? IT will be impossible for me to catch him without taking out my 200lbs of live rock. Just want some opinions, thanks.

anything with giant claws is a potential threat. i know people who've kept them without problems. i've also kept tangs that were anything BUT reef safe. it's all hit or miss.
i would have never put him in the bigger tank if i was losing fish left and right, but here we are.
it couldn't hurt to tell them that the reef safe lobster they sold you is eating all of your fish. i don't see them doing anything about it though.
meanwhile, maybe target feeding him once in a while might curb his appetite for tasty fish.

That is what I was thinking was to give him some fresh clam meat, which is what they love most. Only problem with that is, well two of them:

One, I have no clue where he is lol

Two, my cleaner shrimp robs everyone of tasty food. When I feed shrimp to my BTA and other corals I have to give him his own little piece or he fights them for it lol

But I will try and see where he is burrowed and try and get some fresh clam meat for him... Thanks

I have had one for many years with no problem. I would not be so quick to blame the reef lobster. Could be many reasons why they disapeared. Could be anything from water issues to aggresion issues to fish jumping. Dont always think one issue and that`s it.

They cant jump there is a cover. And no problems with the water. There is no other explanation ??

no aggressive fish, the only thing i can think of was him. they disappeared completely, never to be seen again ?

i would love not to blame him, but after 4 fish have just disappeared(smallest ones) I cant help but speculate him as the culprit :p

do you ever hear a sound out of your tank like "click click" or someone snapping their fingers...... ?

Maybe or maybe not, not that i recall or that i have mentally noted. But then again reef lobsters are mainly active at night, im lucky to see a set of claws during the days. So if he did get them it was most likely while they and I were sleeping lol

So my last anthea is gone missing now. I have a feeling that my lobster is a silent assassin lol

Sorry dude that sux maybe get a bigger lobster to either beat him up or maybe a female so he will be to busy mating to eat ur fish lol jk

freshwater lobsters are terrors, i don't see why sw ones wouldn't be

do you ever hear a sound out of your tank like "click click" or someone snapping their fingers...... ?

I know what you're hinting at. MANTIS SHRIMP!!

Rush... Perhaps when you introduced the lobster, it has been scaring the fish to jump/carpet surf?? Have you checked all around your tank including behind it for these fish? In the overflow?

The fish went missing when they were in my 46 gallon tank. It had a cover so couldnt jump no where. When I emptied it an put it in my 120 gallon no sign of them anywhere. Only thing that could have happened is they got eaten. I tried to feed my lobster as often as I could, but he is always hiding so I am not sure if he would actually eat the clam meat or krill. Since being in the 120 gallon no fish have gone missing, yet. But lets hope it stay that way. I know roughly where he hides now, so I try and drop krill for him to eat.

I would go fishing and trade it at the LFS or to a fellow reefer (with warning of its diet).

the lobster will have made a cave under some rock,as long as you know where it is target feed that area,I used to use seaweed clamp but with krill and attach it to the rock close to the lobster and eventually left my fish alone and just took the krill

Last edited:
the lobster will have made a cave under some rock,as long as you know where it is target feed that area,I used to use seaweed clamp but with krill and attach it to the rock close to the lobster and eventually left my fish alone and just took the krill

This is what I do :)

Have u ever gone crab fishing in the ocean here is what I would do. Tie a peace of chicken gizzard or something to a string get it infront of his cave and once he grabs on lightly reel him in get ur net ready he should hand on long enough for u to get the net under him. Goodluck let me know if that works

I too have an aggressive PRL. Any bottom dwelling fish don't last in my tank. He has eaten 2 firefly gobies and a lawnmower blenny this year. I never find any remains of the fish either, so I'm certain it is the lobster! My clowns have been safe, but they sleep high up in the tank. I don't think I'll be able to introduce anything that rests on the bottom! He is a cool addition, very hardy very pretty, I almost never seem him though. Once he is gone I would not replace him.

And even though I dont doubt your experience I know mive is completely different. I have two bottom dwelling gobies and they have been in my tank for eight yrs now with a purple reef lobster in my tank. I just dont want everyone to think that all of them do this.

Back
Top Bottom