Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2012, 01:21 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Purple tang

Hello all! I have always wanted a purple tang but I wasn't looking to spend $160 dollars on one so i haven't taken the plunge. I went to one of my LFS tonight and much to my surprise I found a beautiful 3" specimen that was mismarked! I couldn't pass it up I got my beauty for $40!!!!!

I acclimated for over an hour and everything is going great. He's eating and seems very happy to be out of his tiny cell. I started reading some forums online and have read many horror stories of the purple tang being very aggressive and killing other fish in the aquarium.

This got me very worried because I have a changing Emperor angel (my pride and joy), a pair of tomato clowns and a sailfin tang. I don't want to lose any of them.

My question is this. I have plenty of live rock in my 100 gallon and is there any way I can try and prevent any aggression before it starts?

Old 07-06-2012, 01:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Plenty of hiding places can ease the damage. but expect aggression with the sailfin in my opinion but then again you might not have any problems at all. Its a risky and your have to see how it pans out. Observe them closely. Watch for aggressive behavior or signs of fighting. Missing bits of fins, cuts, etc.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:31 AM   #3

I read that putting a mirror in the tank could help prevent aggression but thinking about it wouldn't it just stress my fish out? Have anyone heard about this method or had any experience with it?
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Bigger tank, more room and hiding spots
Old 07-06-2012, 03:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

You could move the rocks around so that all your fish have to get use to the new setup eliminating old territory.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick93
Bigger tank, more room and hiding spots
Well I have been wanting a bigger tank lol this may just give me a reason to get one
Old 07-06-2012, 10:58 PM   #7

Crisis averted!!!! The sailfin and purple tussled a little at first but now they seem to be best buddies and the purple I leaving everything else alone!!!! Yay !!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Warning on the mirror treatment, when i first put a small lawnmower blenny in my tank. my kole tang chased him relentlessly, mirror attached. Couple hours later poor tang broke out w/ ich too much stress. Luckily the tang was strong and ate thru it.that was 6 months ago..all is fine now. Fyi
Old 07-06-2012, 11:54 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdw4587
Crisis averted!!!! The sailfin and purple tussled a little at first but now they seem to be best buddies and the purple I leaving everything else alone!!!! Yay !!!!!!!!
Dont toot the horn too quick, they become aggressive as they grow and into adulthood. Youll have to keep an eye on them for a long time.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What I have always noticed is, if I keep the algae clips stocked with sheets it seems to keep them calmer.

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com