Purple Tang!!!! Well, maybe.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I found a purple tang for sale locally and was wondering what you all thought about adding one to my 125g system.

It's a 6 foot tank and currently has the following stock:
blue tang
yellow tang
tomini tang
Male female pair of squareback anthias's
Copperband Butterfly
pink spotted watchman goby
lawnmower belnny
& 3 blue reef chromis

The tangs have been in the tank together for a year or so and the last fish introduced was the copperband about 5 months ago. I have my concerns on two things:
is there actually room in the tank for another tang?
Will it work adding a tang like a purple that resembles the yellow and tomini as far as body shape? And what about temperment of the four tangs?

I'm not as concerned about tank space as i am of them getting along. I watch my tank for endless hours a day and from what I have observed there is room. Just not so sure about how well the tangs would all get along. The current three roam the tank in a gang pretty much, I call them my tang gang since they are all together usually.

So, any help, guidance or thoughts would be most appreciated!!

I have to email this guy back tonight so I need to have a game plan or else I will just pass....

Thanks guys! I love hearing from you all!

In a 125 I would say you should be OK. I`ve been thinking of going to that 4th tang also. My question on yours is the size of the new one. Is it at least the same sizr or bigger? A smaller one I would say would get beat up pretty good.What size is he compared to the others?

He is about 5 inches. My blue is about 5 inches and the yellow almost that big. The tomini is the smallest of the three. The male squareback is also bigger than the blue tang almost so thats alot of 5 inch fish. lol My current tank is actually pretty happy as far as temperment, the only aggression I have is that all the fish chase the blue reef chromis once in awhile.

i also am on the active look out for a 180g or a 220g for the somewhat immediate future upgrade. So capacity wise I should be good. :)

Do the purples tend to be aggressive or are they easily bullied? I've read both so not sure which is true. They are a sturdy tang as well, not ich magnets like the blues are?

Sorry so many questions, I just wanna be 200% sure before i take the plunge.

Thanks for such a quick response melosu! i so appreciate any help or suggestions you make! What kind of tang were you considering by the way as your 4th? or still unsure? lol

Back
Top Bottom