Purple Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sango

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am thinking about putting 2 purple tangs in my tank. They are both about 2 inchs long. Would this be a problem if i put them in at the same time? TIA

What are your other tank inhabitants and what size QT do you have? I have a PT that I just got 3 weeks ago (?). It came down with a serious case of ich in a hurry. Expect it and be prepared to do hypo when it happens. Have planty of salt and RO/DI on hand. The one I have rules his QT and pushes me around if I get into his personal space. Makes me jump (and then laugh) every single time. I know that yellows are likely to school when kept in sets but I'm not sure how PTs do in sets. Beautiful fish though.

I have a 20 gal qt tank. The only other fish I have now is a flame angel and a royal gramma. Would I be better off getting a purple and some other tang?

One will eventually kill the other
I agree. The general rule is not to house tangs of the same shape or color together. A 90 gal can handle two tangs. I suggest researching them first and adding one at a time. Add the most agressive one last.

Purple Tangs are very aggressive fish. If you add 2 you may wind up with 1 in a few weeks. Also, make sure that you are not planning to add any new fish after the tang is in the tank. PT are teritorial fish and will not like any new commers in their town. My PT swims up and eats from my hand, but he will slap me with his tail if he sees me re-aranging his word.

stresco said:
My PT swims up and eats from my hand, but he will slap me with his tail if he sees me re-aranging his word.

Sounds like my yellow tang. He slaps the heck out of my new BPT with his tail that i had to take hime out of the main tank.

is this a pt thing or a zebasoma thing for i havnt experienced these situations with scopas and yellow and sailfin.

Tangs are aggressive when there is two in a tank. 3 or more will do fine. Now...I'm not saying that you have enough room in your tank for three..I was addressing their aggressive tendencies. :wink:

ok then iwould suggest if there are new additions of the same then add all at once. not one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom