Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-19-2006, 11:31 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

out of curiosity, why would he have to "coax" the urchin out with a carrot or whatever? cant you just grab that sucker and put it in the qt?

Old 12-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
mazilla, you can't just pick urchins up. No place to grab without killing them, and they can stick to things pretty good. But if you get them to release, which you can do by bumping them gently , they will float into anything.

Also, it wasn't suggested to use the carrots to coax him into a container, rather to feed to the urchin.

I think I've decided to put them in a 10 gallon for now. Until I find someplace to take them.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

wow, i didnt know that. is this a rule for ALL urchins, or are there some exceptions? how do you buy one if you cant pick it up, or do you have to wait for it to float and kinda swoop in on it? sorry for the dumb questions, i just never realized they(urchins) are this complicated. i was thinking abut getting a couple from the lfs, now i am having second thoughts.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:09 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You have to watch for the long spined urchins, they are venemous. Other's just be gentle when you have to pry them off of rock or the glass. I have never had a problem moving my pincushion or pencil urchins.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 08:18 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
They aren't difficult at all, the exact opposite. Like I said, when I want to move mine I just keep bumping it until they let go. You can lightly touch the urchins, although best not to with your bare hands. They don't intermittently float whenever they want, they are pretty easy to move through the water when you want them to, that's what I meant. Hope that makes sense.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chi, reef, trouble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com