Purposely growing algea on one side of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hutchball

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a Six-line Wrasse who either gets very aggressive or horny, I'm not sure which, when he sees his reflection! ( his eyes actually go red!)

I have to put paper over the side of the tank to reduce the reflection as this side of the tank points to a dark corner.

Would it be wise to allow algae to grow on this side to stop the reflection, or would I just be creating a lot of hard work for myself in the future?

Cheers, Paul.

The only thing is the wrasse will find another place with a reflection to chase away the other fish (his reflection). You can always let coraline algae grow if it is a glass tank you can scrape it off with a razor blade.

Yer, sometimes it looks like hes in distress- really angry. He sort of pecks at the glass too. Im hoping it's just a phase!!

Most all saltwater fish are wild caught, they don't understand the glass box idea the reflection looks like an intruder in its tiny little space. Hopefully it will adjust. Does it have a lot of live rock in the tank to hide and look for food in?

I've had hime for about 2 months now. He doesn't do it all the time, mainly at night but I guess that's because the tank is lit and the living room is dark so he gets a better reflection!

There is a decent amount of rock in there yer. The other fish seem quite happy.

I find it weird that his eyes really do change from silver to red when he's doin it!

I came the conclusion.... It's looks rubbish!! Not how I imagined. It really looks bad.

I've just put a paper sheet on the side for now till I come up with another hair brained idea!

Back
Top Bottom