putting fossilized coral in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i saw this at petsmart today when i went to get a test kit:
CaribSea® Reef Rock Fossilized Coral Rock - Fish - PetSmart
i was thinking of adding some of that because i dont have much live rock in my tank but i cant really afford $8.50 a pound. the coral is 5 pounds.

do you think it will be safe and will it affect my pH?

also, what is a good stocking idea for a 2 gallon tank?

I got a few pounds of it I cant find a home for. its all fossilized, some crystalized pieces. I can snap pics if you are interested but its been to a few fish swaps with me without even a serious inquiry.

I got a few pounds of it I cant find a home for. its all fossilized, some crystalized pieces. I can snap pics if you are interested but its been to a few fish swaps with me without even a serious inquiry.

is it in your tank?

not mine but a tank that I got at a foreclosure clean out, it was in there but it was an african cichlid FW tank., I boiled and steam cleaned it all but I keep soft FW cichlids like discus and cant use the stuff at all.

I am assuming it can go in there since crushed coral is fossilized as well I think.

so it would actually help the pH cause doesnt crushed coral help pH?

the surface area on those rocks won't be as effective as a CC or sand grain sized aragonite bed. the more area the water touches, the better off something like this will work.
raising the ph isn't bad if it's low.

the surface area on those rocks won't be as effective as a CC or sand grain sized aragonite bed. the more area the water touches, the better off something like this will work.
raising the ph isn't bad if it's low.

what do you mean by "CC" and "sand grain sized aragonite bed"?

yes, but you asked me what i was talking about, and i told you. if you have aragonite based sand, it should be buffering the ph, assuming you have adequate flow to the bed and to the surface. i was saying that if you need a buffer, the calcium based sand bed will be more effective than some coral skeletons because of the surface area.

yes, but you asked me what i was talking about, and i told you. if you have aragonite based sand, it should be buffering the ph, assuming you have adequate flow to the bed and to the surface.

oooOOOOOooo now i understand, my bad. i just have some sand in my tank (marine safe) and my pH is good so the coral shouldnt do anything too drastic

the reason i explained all of that above was because i was under the impression you had a very small tank with very little real estate. since you don't have a PH problem, why put dead corals in the tank? why not live ones?

i have some dead pieces in mine tank, but not very large ones, they add a nice look to my tank IMO, even though i dont like my tank as is

looks cool, i will hopefully be able to go this weekend and pick some up

Back
Top Bottom