pvc cement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
what type of pvc glue or cement should i use? does it matter? i know some cements are quite toxic. does it make a difference when it's dry. TIA

FYI,

Salwater corrodes at everything and it will soon corrode into the cement and will leach into the water and will make short work of your livestock

well i think most peopl here just use the same stuff that you would use on th house. it will not corrod it, pvs can really corrod metal can and will. you just ahve to give it time to dry all the way. like 2 days before running tank water in it. t

not true i use reg pvc glue from home depot and glued everything together and started running with in an hour hour and 1/2 with no issues :)

pufferman said:
FYI,

Salwater corrodes at everything and it will soon corrode into the cement and will leach into the water and will make short work of your livestock

I disagree with this statement. PVC cement is a chemical weld. The cement does not hold the PVC together, the reaction caused by the PVC cement and the PVC does.

It is fine. I use the stuff called Rain or SHine. It is blue in color and can be used if the pipe is wet. I have not had a problem with it in the past and do not expect to. Spas and Pools have much harsher water parameters and the glue holds up to that.

Anyone use silicone or something else on pipes you don't want permanently glued? I have some PVC coming from a bulkhead to a durso standpipe. If I glue it, I will have to cut it to remove it if needed, which will ruin the bulkhead. I am getting salt creep right now though with nothing but a slip fit.

yea in that type of situation i would use silicone !! i use pvc cement to glue my hoses to the hose nipples on my pumps !! its easy to remove the hose using a flat screw driver to pry apart the glue and hose and no worries of it popping off !!

Back
Top Bottom