Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
NO3 = 5.0ppm
NO2 = .20 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .25 ppm
pH= 7.8

my coral and yellowheaded goby are doing fine. as are the blue legged hermit crabs. the mexican turbo snails arent turbo at all right now. they are a little sluggish.

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 08:53 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Has the cycle been completed? I would be worried about the ammonia and nitrItes.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
NO3 = 5.0ppm
NO2 = .20 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .25 ppm
pH= 7.8
Sure looks like your back in the middle of a cycle.

Last week, you mentioned that you'd added a bunch of rock, I think that wasn't cured? You then said you'd taken it out to get rid of the damsels. You didn't put it back in again, did you? If so, that's probably why you're cycling again.

No matter what the reason is, if those test results are accurate, I'd say you're back in midst of another cycle.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

At this point, if the readings are correct, you have two options. 1. Do several large water changes until parameters return to normal or 2. harbor the livestock in another location while the tank cycles properly.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:01 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
the levels are going down. it is going to take some time to bring the levels back down. i am going to be patient with it. I looked at all my creatures in the tank and they are doing great. The thing i was worried most about was my xenia and it is doing amazingly well. its actually getting bigger since the water levels have increased.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-03-2007, 02:00 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

While patience is a virtue in this hobby, I don't think that's the case in "waiting out" ammonia and nitrites when you have corals and fish in the tank. It sounds like you're going to do whatever you want regardless, but just because your xenia is getting "bigger" doesn't mean it's healthy. Could just be how it's trying to protect itself from ammonia and nitrites before it gets too stressed and just gives it up.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:11 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tested water again this morning and this is what i collected

NO3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = .15 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .20 ppm
pH= 7.6

I will do a PWC of RO/DI water tonight if i see that things are still the same. I am going to be patient. i appreciate everyone's suggestions and in no way am i being ungreatful to you guys, but if its working for me why change? I see a little more activity from my snails this morning and my Goby is sifting away.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-03-2007, 09:21 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

I'm thinking the test kits are inaccurate or something else weird is going on - or even better like Kurt said, all heck is about to break loose in your tank and you don't realize it yet because you think it's working for you.

Those levels are not good for inverts coral and lots of fish.

Get your water tests confirmed if I were in your shoes.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

This is the thing. The water levels were twice as high on Friday and Saturday. I have changed out a total of almost 40 gallons since saturday. i am a regular at my LFS. lol. I have used this same testing kit since March and they give me the same results as my LFS. i also noticed that by checking the levels this morning the pH was lower than at night when i have been testing it.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-03-2007, 10:53 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree, can you get your LFS to test your water to comfirm your readings?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com