PWC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm happy to hear that. The purple up may help speed coralline growth, but it's not something I would use or recommend. I never dose anything I can't test for. With proper water chemistry and lighting lack of coralline growth has never been an issue for me. If anything it's an annoyance heh.

MT79 said:
I'm happy to hear that. The purple up may help speed coralline growth, but it's not something I would use or recommend. I never dose anything I can't test for. With proper water chemistry and lighting lack of coralline growth has never been an issue for me. If anything it's an annoyance heh.

Can you send me a bag full of your scrapings? :lol:

I enjoy more of the natural growth of corraline. I've seen tanks where the purple is just so much, it looks unreal. Don't let the dosing get out of hand IMO.

Hey guys, i just bought some RO/DI water to do a PWC because my Calcium levels are just insane and wanted to know if this was due because of the purple up. My calcium is at a whopping 600 ppm. I dont know if there test kit is off or mine is? I just tested mine and its at 500. Any suggestions on this and how unhealthy is this for my tank?

Yes, most likely the addition of PurpleUp has caused excessive Ca and alkalinity levels. My personal opinion is to just let your tank settle down... if I remember right it's not even a month old. Stop with all the additives. Do 10-15% water changes weekly to get your Ca/Alk levels down back in a somewhat normal area. After 4 months or so, check out your Ca levels and see if they're where you want them. Anywhere 380-420 should be just fine, with a alk of 8-12 dKh. And if you decide at that point if you want to supplement your calcium, any of the 2-part additives will work much better than PurpleUp or any of the other "quick and easy(?)" products.

Actually my tank is almost 3 months old. i just got back from vacation today so i will be doing my routine maintenance. Also, i had my xenia on a shell that my LFS had glued it on to and when i got back this morning i noticed it wasnt in its normal place. Happens to be that a hermit crab inhabited the shell and i had to scare the crab out of there. i started to crack the shell a little at a time until it jumped back into its old shell. the xenia went thru a tremendous amount of stress and its still looking shriveled up.

That may be an indication the crab needs a new, larger shell to move into. You can buy them at a craft store (shells).

Back
Top Bottom