Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-09-2007, 07:43 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm happy to hear that. The purple up may help speed coralline growth, but it's not something I would use or recommend. I never dose anything I can't test for. With proper water chemistry and lighting lack of coralline growth has never been an issue for me. If anything it's an annoyance heh.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:05 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT79
I'm happy to hear that. The purple up may help speed coralline growth, but it's not something I would use or recommend. I never dose anything I can't test for. With proper water chemistry and lighting lack of coralline growth has never been an issue for me. If anything it's an annoyance heh.
Can you send me a bag full of your scrapings?

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #43
AA Team Emeritus

I enjoy more of the natural growth of corraline. I've seen tanks where the purple is just so much, it looks unreal. Don't let the dosing get out of hand IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
Hey guys, i just bought some RO/DI water to do a PWC because my Calcium levels are just insane and wanted to know if this was due because of the purple up. My calcium is at a whopping 600 ppm. I dont know if there test kit is off or mine is? I just tested mine and its at 500. Any suggestions on this and how unhealthy is this for my tank?

-----Armando-----
Old 05-11-2007, 12:45 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, most likely the addition of PurpleUp has caused excessive Ca and alkalinity levels. My personal opinion is to just let your tank settle down... if I remember right it's not even a month old. Stop with all the additives. Do 10-15% water changes weekly to get your Ca/Alk levels down back in a somewhat normal area. After 4 months or so, check out your Ca levels and see if they're where you want them. Anywhere 380-420 should be just fine, with a alk of 8-12 dKh. And if you decide at that point if you want to supplement your calcium, any of the 2-part additives will work much better than PurpleUp or any of the other "quick and easy(?)" products.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:59 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Actually my tank is almost 3 months old. i just got back from vacation today so i will be doing my routine maintenance. Also, i had my xenia on a shell that my LFS had glued it on to and when i got back this morning i noticed it wasnt in its normal place. Happens to be that a hermit crab inhabited the shell and i had to scare the crab out of there. i started to crack the shell a little at a time until it jumped back into its old shell. the xenia went thru a tremendous amount of stress and its still looking shriveled up.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-14-2007, 01:05 PM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
That may be an indication the crab needs a new, larger shell to move into. You can buy them at a craft store (shells).

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com