Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-01-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
PWC's

With water-levels a little high like mine are, how often should i do PWC's?

-----Armando-----
artoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:28 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Originally Posted by artoledo
With water-levels a little high like mine are, how often should i do PWC's?
That's going to depend on how out of whack they are and specifically what parameters are bad. Can you remiind me of your water parameters?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Even after you get your levels together, I'd recommend PWCs every 2 weeks.

BTW, you got Bioballs in your wet/dry?

I'd be guessing your nitrate levels are high???

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 04:52 PM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

For right now as Scott said it will depend on your water test results. If your ammonia or nitrites are high the some 25% frequent PWC`s will be needed. If it`s just nitrates you should be able to reduce them with weekly PWC`s. As far as after the problem is over I always suggest weekly 10-15% PWC`s but as Ray said every other week would be OK also. Remember that the purpose for PWC`s is dillution of excessive nutrients that cause nuisance algeas and the replenishment of trace elements that have been used up and are important for your fish and corals. I hope all goes well.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007, 10:05 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to artoledo Send a message via MSN to artoledo Send a message via Yahoo to artoledo
well i cant remember which are which but i have a master saltwater test kit, and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are on the second color. and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock. my Xenia is growing like crazy! i bought it a month ago as a small frag with 4 (sorry for what i am going to say) flowers and now there are about 16. my mexican turbo snails are moving a little more. i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?

-----Armando-----
Old 05-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am a big fan of the weekly/monthly rule in reef aquariums. That rule is 10% of your water volume weekly (mainly for trace element replenishment and some nutrient export) and 25% of your water volume monthly for nutrient removal.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock.
Keep in mind pH will swing. It will be lower right after lights on and higher before lights out. Try to measure it at the same time every day. On that same note pH stability is more important than a little too low or a little too high. You can increase your pH by making more surface ripple, by pointing a ph a little toward the surface.
Quote:
i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?[/u]
You can, but it is best to use RO/DI.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-02-2007, 06:19 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roka64
Quote:
and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock.
Keep in mind pH will swing. It will be lower right after lights on and higher before lights out. Try to measure it at the same time every day. On that same note pH stability is more important than a little too low or a little too high. You can increase your pH by making more surface ripple, by pointing a ph a little toward the surface.
Quote:
i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?[/u]
You can, but it is best to use RO/DI.
How does pointing a Powerhead upward to cause ripples raise ph? Please explain. Thanks.

-----Armando-----
Old 05-02-2007, 06:42 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

In SW O2 is exchanged at the surface of the water. Making the surface ripple will give you your O2 exchange.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-02-2007, 07:44 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
well i cant remember which are which but i have a master saltwater test kit, and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are on the second color.
If this correct...it is very bad thing. NH3 and NO2 should be completely undetectible, NO3 should be kept very low. However, if you are not seeing any signs of toxicicity in your livestock it is very possible your test kits are giving you a poor reading. I recommend getting some higher-quality kits and retesting. Post results for NH3, NO2, NO3 and Ph.

Tags
pwc

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com