PWC's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
artoledo said:
With water-levels a little high like mine are, how often should i do PWC's?
That's going to depend on how out of whack they are and specifically what parameters are bad. Can you remiind me of your water parameters?

Even after you get your levels together, I'd recommend PWCs every 2 weeks.

BTW, you got Bioballs in your wet/dry?

I'd be guessing your nitrate levels are high???

For right now as Scott said it will depend on your water test results. If your ammonia or nitrites are high the some 25% frequent PWC`s will be needed. If it`s just nitrates you should be able to reduce them with weekly PWC`s. As far as after the problem is over I always suggest weekly 10-15% PWC`s but as Ray said every other week would be OK also. Remember that the purpose for PWC`s is dillution of excessive nutrients that cause nuisance algeas and the replenishment of trace elements that have been used up and are important for your fish and corals. I hope all goes well.

well i cant remember which are which but i have a master saltwater test kit, and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are on the second color. and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock. my Xenia is growing like crazy! i bought it a month ago as a small frag with 4 (sorry for what i am going to say) flowers and now there are about 16. my mexican turbo snails are moving a little more. i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?

I am a big fan of the weekly/monthly rule in reef aquariums. That rule is 10% of your water volume weekly (mainly for trace element replenishment and some nutrient export) and 25% of your water volume monthly for nutrient removal.

artoledo said:
and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock.
Keep in mind pH will swing. It will be lower right after lights on and higher before lights out. Try to measure it at the same time every day. On that same note pH stability is more important than a little too low or a little too high. You can increase your pH by making more surface ripple, by pointing a ph a little toward the surface.
artoledo said:
i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?[/u]
You can, but it is best to use RO/DI.

roka64 said:
artoledo said:
and my ph is a little low. its at 7.8. i want to increase it but i dont know how to without hurting my livestock.
Keep in mind pH will swing. It will be lower right after lights on and higher before lights out. Try to measure it at the same time every day. On that same note pH stability is more important than a little too low or a little too high. You can increase your pH by making more surface ripple, by pointing a ph a little toward the surface.
artoledo said:
i bought some RO water. Should i do my PWC with that?[/u]
You can, but it is best to use RO/DI.

How does pointing a Powerhead upward to cause ripples raise ph? Please explain. Thanks. :)

In SW O2 is exchanged at the surface of the water. Making the surface ripple will give you your O2 exchange.

well i cant remember which are which but i have a master saltwater test kit, and the nitrates, nitrites and ammonia are on the second color.
If this correct...it is very bad thing. NH3 and NO2 should be completely undetectible, NO3 should be kept very low. However, if you are not seeing any signs of toxicicity in your livestock it is very possible your test kits are giving you a poor reading. I recommend getting some higher-quality kits and retesting. Post results for NH3, NO2, NO3 and Ph.

NO3 = 5.0ppm
NO2 = .20 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .25 ppm
pH= 7.8

my coral and yellowheaded goby are doing fine. as are the blue legged hermit crabs. the mexican turbo snails arent turbo at all right now. they are a little sluggish.

Has the cycle been completed? I would be worried about the ammonia and nitrItes.

artoledo said:
NO3 = 5.0ppm
NO2 = .20 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .25 ppm
pH= 7.8

Sure looks like your back in the middle of a cycle.

Last week, you mentioned that you'd added a bunch of rock, I think that wasn't cured? You then said you'd taken it out to get rid of the damsels. You didn't put it back in again, did you? If so, that's probably why you're cycling again.

No matter what the reason is, if those test results are accurate, I'd say you're back in midst of another cycle.

At this point, if the readings are correct, you have two options. 1. Do several large water changes until parameters return to normal or 2. harbor the livestock in another location while the tank cycles properly.

the levels are going down. it is going to take some time to bring the levels back down. i am going to be patient with it. I looked at all my creatures in the tank and they are doing great. The thing i was worried most about was my xenia and it is doing amazingly well. its actually getting bigger since the water levels have increased.

While patience is a virtue in this hobby, I don't think that's the case in "waiting out" ammonia and nitrites when you have corals and fish in the tank. It sounds like you're going to do whatever you want regardless, but just because your xenia is getting "bigger" doesn't mean it's healthy. Could just be how it's trying to protect itself from ammonia and nitrites before it gets too stressed and just gives it up.

Tested water again this morning and this is what i collected

NO3 = 4.0 ppm
NO2 = .15 ppm
NH3/NH+4 = .20 ppm
pH= 7.6

I will do a PWC of RO/DI water tonight if i see that things are still the same. I am going to be patient. i appreciate everyone's suggestions and in no way am i being ungreatful to you guys, but if its working for me why change? I see a little more activity from my snails this morning and my Goby is sifting away.

I'm thinking the test kits are inaccurate or something else weird is going on - or even better like Kurt said, all heck is about to break loose in your tank and you don't realize it yet because you think it's working for you.

Those levels are not good for inverts coral and lots of fish.

Get your water tests confirmed if I were in your shoes.

This is the thing. The water levels were twice as high on Friday and Saturday. I have changed out a total of almost 40 gallons since saturday. i am a regular at my LFS. lol. I have used this same testing kit since March and they give me the same results as my LFS. i also noticed that by checking the levels this morning the pH was lower than at night when i have been testing it.

I agree, can you get your LFS to test your water to comfirm your readings?

Back
Top Bottom