Pygmy Angel Fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all,
I was at the LFS picking up some more coral and decided to ask for a good fish to add for my final fish. Since I have two clown fish (oscellaris) and one sixline wrasse that all took part in killing a poor little yellow watchmen goby, they suggested a pygmy Angel.

I told them I would look it up and ask about them before making a choice. They told me this fish would be aggressive enough to hold its own in my tank.

I am concerned with the fish size, and whether or not it is reef safe. The LFS said they are pretty reef safe, but liveaquaria says they may nip at polyps and clam mantles. I have a good bit of LPS and such along with a Crocea Clam. I also have various inverts including a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp.

What are your thoughts on this? The partcular type was a Cherub Angel. They stay small, but are they reef safe? Will they bully my current fish?

Thanks!
Matt

Cherub belongs to the Pygmy angel group and usually do not attain more than 3". Due to their small size can be quite shy at times. All dwarf angels are known for nipping coral polyps, but less so by Pygmy angels ime.

can't tell you how many times I've heard.... "well, my angel was fine up until one day when...."

This can happen after months or years I've heard. Regular and pygmy sized.

Good luck!!

can't tell you how many times I've heard.... "well, my angel was fine up until one day when...."

This can happen after months or years I've heard. Regular and pygmy sized.

Good luck!!

It happened to me 4 yrs later. Good call Ray.

Hello,
Thank you for all the replies. So it seems that the angel fish is best left out then? Could you guys suggest another fish that is reef safe and will be aggressive enough to hold its own, but not become a total jerk?

Matt

Fang blenny. There are a few to choose from. The canary is my favorite. Small, but a venomous bite on the lip if bothered by another. Won't hover on the rocks either so that the sixline'll have any issues with it.

BTW, what size tank ya got? That'll help with the recommendations.

Not dangerous at all to you. Only to any fish that might try to eat him. The canary only gets to be a bout 2.5" and is skinny.

My concern is that if you get another fish that hugs the rocks, the sixline will go at it. Prolly what happened to your goby.

Back
Top Bottom