Pyramid butterfly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ferny27

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a pyramid butterfly fish , the guy at the store told me I won't have problems with the tomini tang . I put him in turn off the lights and the tang is picking at him that the whole tank is stressed out. I want to take him out put I have 150 gal with 250 lbs of rock and there is no way I can get him out. What do I do ? Please help!!!!!

Not much you can do at this point. More often then not, a new fish gets the "once over" by established tankmates for a couple days. May just be a matter of the tang putting him in his place initially.

Well now the butterfly is not hiding . He is out and and holding his own. I'm just scared that he is going to stress that he will get ich..... I delt with ich and that was the reason why I almost left this hobby.

I wouldn't stress about it. I've had a couple butterflies in recent past and they are not wimps when push comes to shove. Mine would always lean into the attacker and show them their dorsal spines.

Is the pyramid eating?

Actually be came out and he is ok now. Thank you very much .

After they determine the pecking order they will be OK. Looks like it already has happened.

Nope !!!! Well they stopped pecking and bothering him but because of the stress now he for ICH!!!!!!!!!! I'm so upset . I hate that ! Now my whole tank can get it. What do I do ? This hobby is driving me crazy and broke

I used a product from Kordon (garlic based) that seemed to help out. All of my fish survived. Now, it may or may not have killed the ich. I can say this though, I haven't had an outbreak in almost 2 years in the same tank! Good luck and don't give up. Many of us have had the same issue, some have even had worse.

Attachments

• image-415309874.jpg
    image-415309874.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 72
Yes I just bought it and I used this in the past ... Its that it's a new tank and I didn't want to go through this again. I just bought two bottles of it

Good luck with the pyramid, hope he is ok.

There are a lot of opinions about QT tanks an if they are good or bad, I personally don't QT any fish. This is why.

You buy a fish take it home and acclimatise it the the QT. you leave him in there for say a month and every thing is fine, the fish is happy and healthy so you decide it's time to add him to the main display tank. So you bag him up and acclimatise him to the main tank (that stresses him out) if your QT tank's water parameters are the same as your display and you just put it straight into the main tank via a net or jug (that stresses it out) then you have the problem that if there are any fish in there like tangs or angelfish or anything else that is slightly aggressive like my clarki clown! They chase the new guy and beat it up a bit (that stresses it out) if the new guy is prone to ich then it's going to get it through the stress of being moved from the QT and the chasing of other fish. Therefore I don't QT any of my stock. This is just my opinion and I'm sure there are others with the opinion that QT are in fact a good thing. Each to there own. If you think it's worth doing then go for it. If everyone had the same view as me it would all be a bit boring. ;-)

Regarding QT (my opinion)...if your fish is going to show symptoms of Ich (or anything, really), its gonna probably get it while you are observing it in the QT. If it does, then you can treat in there and you end up putting a healthy fish into what hopefully is a healthy aquarium. If your DT does not have Ich in it, then stress is not going to make it magically appear in a fish that was QT'd. On the other hand, if you put what you hope is a healthy fish into your healthy tank and they have something that appears a few days later, you have now infected your DT. For something like Ich, it may not be a crisis. For something like marine velvet, it could be devastating. I speak from having lived both scenarios back in my pre-QT days.

That's a good point and one I haven't thought of as I was under the impression ws or ich was already in every tank. Will have to look into that a bit more. I'm always willing to learn and change my opinions. ;-) thanks for that.

Back
Top Bottom