Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-02-2008, 01:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Only thing i have to add that hasn't been mentioned so far is that If you do plan on keeping sps or clams and will need the MH lighting in the future, you may wanna just bite the bullet and buy the halides from the start. The new lids for nanocubes and biocubes that have the MH lighting will cost you an absolutly insane amount of money. For the nano cubes the upgraded lid cost 60$ more then the whole tank did. A criminal price if you ask me.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Only thing i have to add that hasn't been mentioned so far is that If you do plan on keeping sps or clams and will need the MH lighting in the future, you may wanna just bite the bullet and buy the halides from the start. The new lids for nanocubes and biocubes that have the MH lighting will cost you an absolutly insane amount of money. For the nano cubes the upgraded lid cost 60$ more then the whole tank did. A criminal price if you ask me.
I have considered that, and your right,the $ of the upgrade is unbelievable.However, it is not the money that prevents me, it is the heat that causes me to have temp issues with my tanks, this tank will be in my bedroom , I also have open windows in my house 4 month a year, temps in daytime reach near 78/80, my Nova T5 lights on my 37 are a slight issue( have them raised off by about an half inch), can't imagine what metal halide would be like, and a fan or chiller might present a noise problem for a BR tank. I am sure my wife would be happy with some Zoa's, polyps ,dusters and inverts.she is fascinated with our emerald crab, I could probably buy her her own 3 gal Pico with a crab and she would be thrilled.:p
Probably a couple months off now from that purchase, the Visa bill came in and all of my aquarium hobby purchases for Sept on there, not pretty, kind of went overboard last month Better chill out for a short while.

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to HoCkEyGmC
the nanocubes get amazingly hot. not only did the halides heat the tank, my bedroom is noticably hotter than any other part of my house. i guess in the winter it will be a plus but in the summer it wasnt good. the tank has pushed 85 at its highest point. if i could do it over i would have done my own tank but im kinda glad i did the nano cube cuz it made it much easier on me to set up the tank besides the whole costing a buhjillion dollars thing.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to pat8you
Ok so i don't want this to sound like i'm trying to be some kind of shady salesman here but I have a 24gal jbj nano cube just the tank sitting at home from when we had to RMA a cracked tank. It doesn't have the lid or pumps or anything else. Gives you the option of putting a MH pendant over the tank and run a fan across the open top, or just any kind of a fixture in general. Most people take all the sponges and rings and all that stuff out of the back anyway and replace it with LR rubble.
Old 10-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat8you View Post
Ok so i don't want this to sound like i'm trying to be some kind of shady salesman here but I have a 24gal jbj nano cube just the tank sitting at home from when we had to RMA a cracked tank. It doesn't have the lid or pumps or anything else. Gives you the option of putting a MH pendant over the tank and run a fan across the open top, or just any kind of a fixture in general. Most people take all the sponges and rings and all that stuff out of the back anyway and replace it with LR rubble.
Thanks for the offer, if I were planning on going the Metal halide direction I would certainly consider, but for the ease to a newbee and overall appearance of nano cubes I will hold my course on the 24 nano. With up stairs bedrooms, and a very old central AC in this house, I am real concerned about the heat. Too bad that it is my basement gameroom with all the right conditions fo a large tank and always cool temps, as I have a neighbor who is ( at times) willing to give us a 135 gal with all the equipment, it is just not a place we spend any time at, except for parties .

24 gal Aquapod (wife's) reef, now cycled and currently emptying my wallet.
joeyfromlawrenceville is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com