Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #11

Is this a marine or freshwater tank?

As stated there are some illnesses that can kill without stress, especially with wild caught animals from different habitats going into the same tank (like any marine tank). But effectively all common freshwater illnesses that people the worry the most about will not kill without stress. With saltwater it is a little different. Every new fish introduces pathogens to all the others, pathogens that are unique to them that the other fish have never been exposed to ever, so they have no immunity against. If you want to deal with disease take fish from all over the world and put them in the same tank (have a saltwater tank). And I do believe that even seemingly healthy tanks contain stress. It happens at night, it happens because of nutrition (no matter how balanced or varied our diets are, it is not perfect), it happens for reasons we don't even understand yet. Saltwater fish are very unforgiving when stressed at all, and are much more sensitive to anything.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:41 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Some fish are ticking time bombs. I hadn't lost a fish a several years, then bought these big cardinals. Had 5, now a week layer there is one left. Especially with live caught, they use to harvest fish off the reef using chemicals to drug them. Many of them were on their way out when bought. Over the years I experimented with various types of quarantine, but in the end, if not careful, you just double stressed the fish, but protected the home population from a potential disease breakout. The fish that acclimate live for over a decade in my tank, but some just don't.

Old 07-05-2011, 12:48 AM   #13

Very good point. By the time fish get to our tanks they are likely to be very stressed, whether wild caught saltwater or farm raised freshwater. These fish are most likely to have problems. Your best bet is a good LFS that is honest about how long they have had fish and how well they are doing, and obviously take superb care of their fish. At the shop I was running we did big weekly water changes and (generally) only fed New Life Spectrum. I had the lowest death rate by far out of any shop I have ever worked at or known well enough to know their death rate. In general the only problems we had were from bad batches of fish from the wholesaler. We had very few returns for dead and with almost all of those I could find out something wrong about the person's tank, acclimation, etc.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I owned a LFS as well, but over 30 years ago when saltwater was really exotic. But the story on the fish and the diseases are all pretty similar with FW and SW fishes. Healthy, acclimated, eating fish are pretty hard to kill. But you can get that rare fish that is literally a time bomb, like a bird flu carrier on a airliner.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:57 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had healthy, acclimated eating fish that were dead within 24 hours. Some kind of fungus maybe? And it's saltwater. I know the source was the blue tang I put in, just don't know what he brought with him.
:-(
Old 07-05-2011, 01:23 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

I have stayed away from both blue and purple Tangs for that same reason. In the past I have had some really bad experiences with them. Surgeon fish as well. In one case, a sick purple tang wiped out about half my reef tank before the ich subsided. I just did water changes and used a big UV sterilizer I had access to. We are mixing fish from all around the world and that can cause disease issues.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I most likely won't put another tang in the tank. I will be qt'ing anyways so hopefully that will prevent a tank wipe out in the future.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

What should I add to a virtually empty tank? If some one could give me a guide as to how to qt properly that would be great. My last attempt at qt virtually killed the fish before we aborted qt to save the little guys but sadly they were to far gone to save and the longest only lasted 2 weeks in DT.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Everything you need to know about QT:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
Old 07-05-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

When possible try to find a local LFS that is not a chain store and where the owner specializes in SW only.Where I am at I am fortunate in that regard.I am able to order the fish I want and go to the LFS and get the fish as the owner gets back from the airport with the shipment.That cuts out one stressed procedure in that the local LFS doesn't have to acclimate the fish in his tank.I acclimate straight to mine from the wholesaler.
Also make sure once acclimated at your house take the fish from the bag with your hand and place it in your tank.Do not let the water from the bag go in your tank.Naturally with some species you would use a net instead of your hand.

Also I firmly believe you should run a uv sterilizer 24/7.I know many don't agree.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com