Qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ricksreef said:
When possible try to find a local LFS that is not a chain store and where the owner specializes in SW only.Where I am at I am fortunate in that regard.I am able to order the fish I want and go to the LFS and get the fish as the owner gets back from the airport with the shipment.That cuts out one stressed procedure in that the local LFS doesn't have to acclimate the fish in his tank.I acclimate straight to mine from the wholesaler.
Also make sure once acclimated at your house take the fish from the bag with your hand and place it in your tank.Do not let the water from the bag go in your tank.Naturally with some species you would use a net instead of your hand.

Also I firmly believe you should run a uv sterilizer 24/7.I know many don't agree.

So you go directly to DT

thats' exactly what I thought. Mine even runs copper BUT I still had my tragedy in the 125g.

It sounds like preaching, but you should QT for some time at least. i am in the process of setting up a permanent QT large enough for most fish now.

Sorry to preach, I just lost most of my fish and it happened in a heartbeat. A good wholesaler can have bad things happen too.

:-D

I can qt more than one fish in same tank right? I can put some peices of PVC pipe in right for hiding places

carey said:
thats' exactly what I thought. Mine even runs copper BUT I still had my tragedy in the 125g.

It sounds like preaching, but you should QT for some time at least. i am in the process of setting up a permanent QT large enough for most fish now.

Sorry to preach, I just lost most of my fish and it happened in a heartbeat. A good wholesaler can have bad things happen too.

:-D

I am not saying don't Qt,it all depends on your own situation.
You don't know exactly what caused the deaths in your 125gallon tank,whether something was brought in on on livestock or it was that you rushed the tank,didn't even have the sump operational initially.Remember I poised the question in your 125 gallon build post that you might be moving to fast and not letting the tank run completely operational a couple weeks at least before putting in livestock.Parameters showing ok is not the sole indicator that everything is good to go.
I'm very sorry for the livestock you lost and know from my first experience 6 years ago how it hurts.
A QT tank is a great idea in your situation but the key in starting new tanks (IMO) is patience.Let the tank run a couple weeks,all equipment running, after tests show everything is good to go and try to have all the rock you are getting in the tank from the beginning.

Realize waiting is the hardest part.

Ricksreef said:
I am not saying don't Qt,it all depends on your own situation.
You don't know exactly what caused the deaths in your 125gallon tank,whether something was brought in on on livestock or it was that you rushed the tank,didn't even have the sump operational initially.Remember I poised the question in your 125 gallon build post that you might be moving to fast and not letting the tank run completely operational a couple weeks at least before putting in livestock.Parameters showing ok is not the sole indicator that everything is good to go.
I'm very sorry for the livestock you lost and know from my first experience 6 years ago how it hurts.
A QT tank is a great idea in your situation but the key in starting new tanks (IMO) is patience.Let the tank run a couple weeks,all equipment running, after tests show everything is good to go and try to have all the rock you are getting in the tank from the beginning.

Realize waiting is the hardest part.

Waiting is the hardest part? Oh good, I'm mastering waiting now with my qt.

Mike-words said:
I can qt more than one fish in same tank right? I can put some peices of PVC pipe in right for hiding places

Could I get an answer

Mike-words said:
Could I get an answer

In a perfect world, each fish would have it's own QT, but that isn't really very practical. So, each new batch of fish would share the same QT. While I am not a fan of QT, that is a personal preference.

6 I think would be a lot to add all at once to any tank. Remember that the biofilter is good for what is in te tank now, it has to build up to handle more fish. I'd only do 2 at a time unless they were really really small.

Back
Top Bottom