Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Qt

How big of wc could I do in my qt? as I have neglected it for months planing on getting some new fish. How long to qt? What do I need in the tank?

Old 07-04-2011, 08:52 PM   #2

You can do a 100% water change, ideally with water from the DT.

Time varies from person to person. Some say 2 weeks, zoos do 90 days or more.

In order for the QT to work and be worth it it has to be at least as good as the DT. Pathogens don't cause illness, they are always around. Stress causes illness. If you don't remove all possible stressors (water quality, food quality, hiding places, etc.) you will cause stress and therefore illness. If the QT is more stressful than the DT in any way there is no point in quarantining.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

There is some LR in there should I take it out.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishguy2727 View Post
You can do a 100% water change, ideally with water from the DT.

Time varies from person to person. Some say 2 weeks, zoos do 90 days or more.

In order for the QT to work and be worth it it has to be at least as good as the DT. Pathogens don't cause illness, they are always around. Stress causes illness. If you don't remove all possible stressors (water quality, food quality, hiding places, etc.) you will cause stress and therefore illness. If the QT is more stressful than the DT in any way there is no point in quarantining.

Pathogens don't cause illness? I have to disagree. I've been stressed before and I didn't get HIV, or Pneumonia, or even the common cold, why? Because I wasn't infected with the pathogen that causes those things.

If the fish is stressed and HAS a pathogenic disease, then it may show itself to be more evident under stress, yes. That is the whole purpose of QT. I just lost my all but two of my fish listening to advice that said, feed garlic, keep the fish stress free, it will be fine. IT WON'T be fine if it is infected with a pathogen. You must eliminate the pathogen and no amount of stress would bring it back if it is not present in the surrounding.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Take out the live rock, it looks nice, but if you have to treat it has to come out and you have to worry about the tank re-cycling then, another mistake I made.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:20 AM   #6

Pathogens are ALWAYS present. You never have a sterile tank. Stress weakens the immune system and allows for whatever pathogens are present to take hold and cause disease. Yes, technically the pathogens are actually causing the disease, but it can't happen without the stress.

You may not have gotten HIV, but you got a cold or some other illness because whatever pathogen was present got the opportunity to infect you when you were stressed. This is why college students start getting the sniffles in May (stress from final exams allows for colds).
Old 07-05-2011, 12:24 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had most of my tank just die. I can see the stress being a factor in 1 death but the others? They were fine, stress free and then dead within a day. Something was introduced to the tank at some point. I have 3 fish still alive and seem to be fine. They do not seem stressed in any way shape or form but theres still a chance what got the other fish will get these last 3 as well.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

You're both right...the main line defense fish have for water born parasites is their slime coat and how thick or thin it is. The level of free swimming parasites that can penetrate a dressed fishes slime coat starts the circus. Like humans, there has to be a critical level of, let's say a virus, to cause infection. One or two won't do it. So keeping the level of parasites in the system AND giving the fish their best chance of their own immune system rejecting parasites that they live with in the wild 24/7. Once a outbreak takes hold, that can stress the fish, or overcome them.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 AM   #9

What was the disease?

Just because we don't understand the stressor, doesn't mean it isn't there. Aquariums are complicated systems, many things can affect our fish without us knowing it. I am sure there are diseases that can kill healthy, unstressed fish, but they are rare and not the usual cause of most deaths.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

No one has been able to identify the disease that got mine. The clsest thing is marine velvet. I emailed a disease guru from a website Mr X recommended and am hoping to hear back.

I know whatever killed those fish is still in the tank but for instance, the clowns that died were far from stressed. They were the happiest fish in the tank. Their water parameters are excellent and their diet is balanced.

I don't mean to debate, I just believe something has to be introduced to a system for it to have an effect.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com