Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 12:17 PM   #21
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
"Meno" my clown has a white stringy thing trailing from his top fin and he has white stuff on his gills and around his face...does this mean anything to you?
To me this sounds more like Brooklynella than velvet. If that's the case, the copper will have no real effect. It needs to be treated with >>formalin<<.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 12:34 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

thanks, I am going to my lfs and seeing what I can do...and tell her about the test kit she sold me that I can't use!

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Call you LFS and see if they have formalin, its not that expensive. You can forget the copper and do daily formalin SW baths. If its Brookylnella it should help. I believe one of my Heni Butterfly's had it. I did this for 5 days and he cleared up.
I can send you some, but cannot until monday. I am on the road tomorrow.
A fw dip could help.
Your in college, right? Do you take chemistry? The lab should have some 37% formalin. Maybe they would give you some. Just make sure its not expired or been kept in a hot place. Once formalin gets above a certain temp, it becomes toxic.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:43 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok...I'll let you know what happens

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 05-20-2004, 02:44 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Quote:
Originally Posted by quarryshark
Well I searched the web and canot find out what test kit to get for this copper.
Does anyone know?
Seachems multi test would still be the better choice. I e-mailed Aquarium Systems recently as I was unsure myself and they confirmed the Fastest is only for ionic copper.

Cheers
Steve
This is becoming a pet peeve of mine in this hobby. The lack of correct test kits at the lfs's. For example when I had my velvet outbreak, all the lfs's carried cupramine, but none had the correct test kit. I had to have it overnighted from Marine Depot. Most of the stores didn't even know about their test kit. Either the lfs's or the sales reps from the companies need to do a better job of distributing test kits for these products. I wonder how many fish have been killed due to improper copper levels.
What would make sense is to sell the test kit with the drug. Would save many fish lives, plus make the company more money.
Rant over.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:42 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She gave me this stuff that has 1.2 copper and 17% formaldhyde??? I am looking at it now thinking is this the right stuff....please tell me this is right.

Old 05-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic

She swore to me that test worked even when I told her...all the tests came out the same...EVEN with water changes!!!! I even showed her where it said that it does not work with chelated copper and I also told her that online someone had written the company and verfied that it did not work and she went off on me that people with 30 minutes of expeirence are giving advice....I am so pissed...opps can I say that? But I should have NOT bought anything more, but shes the only pet shop in Kissimmee besides one other (which has quite a problem keeping fish alive to begin with!) It just makes me want to give up!

Old 05-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Addict

Should ask her how many fish she has treated for ich or velvet. For them its a tax write off, for us its our pets.
What is the name of the product? Not sure I can advise, never used something like that. The copper it the thing that is throwing me off. Does it say in the instructions anything about dips/baths?
Old 05-20-2004, 05:44 PM   #29
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
She gave me this stuff that has 1.2 copper and 17% formaldhyde??? I am looking at it now thinking is this the right stuff....please tell me this is right.
Does it have a name? Sounds like a touted "reef safe" treatment, which IMO there are none. 17% Formaldehyde will not be strong enough against Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 05:46 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-s
Does it have a name? Sounds like a touted "reef safe" treatment, which IMO there are none. 17% Formaldehyde will not be strong enough against Brooklynella.

Cheers
Steve
What if she doubles the dose for a bath?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com