Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2004, 05:52 PM   #31
steve-s

A minimum 37% Formaldehyde is needed to = formalin and be effective as a bath. You might be able to get away with it though. I would be concerned about overshooting the dosage and what the "1.2 copper" actually is(?).

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 06:07 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I am NEVER going to her again! It's called Organi-cure. It says nothing about sw dips or even treating against brooklynella! After showing her the picture of the damsel she told me what it was right away. After she got mad at me, I almost felt guilted into listening to her advice...we've been going to her for like two years now. So have my friends. So I TRUSTED her when she gave me these meds, she said she didn't have any straight formalin. I used my husbands money to buy it, with out letting him know in advance too. (he's already given up on the fish and wants to stop wasting money trying to save them). I am in college, but I haven't taken chemistry...but I soppose I could call some friends who may know someone who works in that section or knows someone in that class. Thats the only way I can see it working...My husband has had it and wants to start over. He's already told me that if it happens again he's gonna take over the tank and put sharks in it. I will try tonight and call my best friend...she knows A LOT of people at the college, maybe she can hook me up. I am getting my 150 to the house on Sunday, its already paid for, no turning back...please don't stop writing me....I have to make sure not to screw this up somehow (guess I'm pretty scared after this, lost my babies and a whole lot of money)

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
clowninround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:08 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

reefrunner69 found a test!!! Too bad I don't need it anymore lol. It's made by kordons...same people who make amqel

150 gallon, 30g fuge/sump, 4.5 watt/gal VHO Lighting, 4" sand bed, 290 lbs LR, CDX-3 Nitrate/Phosphate filter

Female Naso "Isabell" or "Izzy", Emperor Angelfish, Flame Angel, Red Sea Sailfin tang "Bambi", Maroon Clown "Nani", 5 Chromis, 1 Aglae Blenny "Bengi" , Yellow Watchman Goby, pr of Banggai Cardinals, Lyretail Anthia, Six Line Wrasse

1 cleaner shrimp, Coral Banded Shrimp, lettuce nudibranch, 1 sand sifter stars, 1 tiny red brittle star "red", 1 tiny red and white banded serpent star, 2 tiny banded serpent stars, small orange Linkia starfish, assorted hermits and snails. Corals: star polyps, A ton of different types of mushrooms, yellow zooanthids, brown-orangish and light blue paly's, orange ricordia.

90g RR, W/D, 120 lb's LR SF eel, pygmy angel, pr sebae clownfish, 4 chromis. Star Polyps & Mushrooms
Old 05-20-2004, 06:21 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah, I won't know because my kit doesn't test for chelated copper...which this is tri chelated...whatever that means...it does say that it's non-toxic though....

Old 05-20-2004, 06:28 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one MORE problem to add to the mix...she told me not to treat him in the qt tank with all that copper...so I put him back in the 55...she said I could treat him from there...if I get the greater concentrate of formalin, can I treat him in there, or do I need to catch him again?

Old 05-20-2004, 06:34 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
I can send you formalin, but not until Monday. I am going on the road in an hour and will not get home until late tomorrow. If you still have the need, I can UPS some to you.
Check out Marine Depot.com and some of the sponsoring sites on this site. Maybe someone will have it.
I found one store about 30 miles from here who had it, thats how I got my supply under similar circumstances.
I cannot suggest you doing this, but I would try if I had nothing else. Doing a SW (not FW) bath with the med you have now at double dose for 10-15 minutes. This would get you close to a theraputic dose, but the copper concentration is of concern. I would watch him very closely and if he is stessing, get him out.
Now my concerns are the same as Steve's listed above, its your call on how bad of shape you think your fish is in.
Old 05-20-2004, 06:37 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clowninround
one MORE problem to add to the mix...she told me not to treat him in the qt tank with all that copper...so I put him back in the 55...she said I could treat him from there...if I get the greater concentrate of formalin, can I treat him in there, or do I need to catch him again?
Sorry to say, you would have to move him again. You can run copper in the qt tank before dosing, and do a large water change.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ok, its too soon to tell but he may be responding to the med's she gave me!!! Before he was only at the bottom of the tank, kind of dragging himself really slowly....now I seen him swimming around the tank. My husband told me to go get what he needed too! I'll keep ya posted!

Old 05-21-2004, 12:26 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great, hope it works out!!
Old 05-21-2004, 10:07 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

His breathing this morning seems to be getting back to normal...not quite there, but dramatically slower than before!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com