qt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clowninround

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What should a qt tank have in it. I am medicating my fish but they seem worse off than when I first put them in. I have a peguin bio wheel for a 30 gallon tank airstone and heater...temp is 78, nitrate 10 and nitrite 0 ph 8.3. I do not have the carbon in just a sponge. I lost my angel about a few days ago, they are acting just like he did before he died...help!

What are you treating them with? What symptoms are they showing and are they eating? Can you post a pick?

they were eating this morning, in fact they seemed fine this morning, but when I got home a few hours later they were both gasping for air at the bottom of the tank, i am treating w/ coppersafe and I just put in maracyn-two. The tang has really bad ragged fins and tail. But maybe its something I am doing. The clown seemed just fine in the 55, now that he's in qt he looks just like the angel...my angel seemed fine too tough and then all of a sudden his abdomen became swollen and he was stuck to a filter breathing heavily...his back fin looked messed up to, but over the course of 4 days or so.

I can email you the picks if you give me your email adress from my kodak program. Also I was thinking about it...when I bought the tang he had white marks on him, but not as many as the other ones in the tank....they said they were getting stung by the anmone and took it out...but that was like 5 weeks ago

Here is the pic of your clown. From what you describe, I believe it to be velvet. I would keep the course with the copper and ride it out. It may take a day or 2 to see an improvement.
Any one else?

yeah I just lost the tang...he was pretty far gone to begin with. I was watching him close and then I noticed him rubbing...since he's so small I never noticed that the rest of his fins were affected until I took him out, they were TORE UP...it just seemed like the meds made it worse???

crap!! Sorry for you loss. :cry:
The rubbing is a pretty sure sign. Are you testing the copper level?

yeah thats the thing....I spent 20.00 on a copper test and I don't think I am reading it right...because I put EXACTLY how much meds I was sopposed to and one way I look at it it says .25, and another at .15 or .10. It's one of those color chip testers....I put the chip in the holder and hold it up to the light and compare the color next th the chip holder thing...but if I turn it sideways it looks a whole lot less than what it says :?

I hate test kits.
Thats why I use cupramine with the seachem multitest kit. They are made for each other and work well together.
Maybe you could check out mardel's web site to see if its the right test kit.
When I treated for velvet, I went through 2 different kits till I found the one that worked.
IMO, they should sell the test kits with the med. But thats just a rant. :!:

hey Kurt, did you lose a lot of fish before you were able to have success? If I lose my clown, that will be 3...I just CAN NOT lose my clown to this thing...it seems to take on the fish fairly rapidly...is that normal?

well, I found out the problem! The lady at the lfs told me to use fastest with coppersafe...but chelated copper sulfate isn't compatible with it...I have sunk so much money into treating these guys and I can't tell if its effective. I put my last pennies into it, literally. I am willing to bet the copper is low too because I did water changes tring to get it back down. Crap! I don't know where to go from here...

Well I searched the web and canot find out what test kit to get for this copper.
Does anyone know?

Thanks kurt! I tried getting a pic of him this morning but I can't get it clear enough to be any good. "Meno" my clown has a white stringy thing trailing from his top fin and he has white stuff on his gills and around his face...does this mean anything to you?

Taht picture of the damsel...thats what my tang looked like...exactly what it looked like! Where do I get this stuff...how much does it cost...maybe I can dig up a few dollars...can I treat with the capersafe and marcyn 2???
I don't see anything on the packet against it...

quarryshark said:
Well I searched the web and canot find out what test kit to get for this copper.
Does anyone know?
Seachems multi test would still be the better choice. I e-mailed Aquarium Systems recently as I was unsure myself and they confirmed the Fastest is only for ionic copper.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom