QT: 24/7 or as needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EBR

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Everyone --

I would guess this has been covered in the past, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I was just wondering what other folks do for a QT:

1- leave it up and running all the time, keeping up with water changes, etc, or

2- set it up (with water from the main tank) as needed?

Matt

PS -- I would have set this up as a poll, but I couldn't find instruction on the the "options" could/should be -- any help for that? Thanks.

If you're not fully stocked, Id suggest leaving it up as you add new fish to your main. There are threads at this site and info on how to set it up in a qwik manner when needed for illness.

lando said:
I do not leave it running. I set it up as needed.

Are you fully stocked? It seems like it would be a pain in the@ss to set it up everytime you want to get something new.

I left mine up while stocking. It is now up and running again as I am treating for an outbreak. I had to get rid of two fish. So after treatment it will stay up while I add a few more fish. :wink:

It seems like it would be a pain in the@ss to set it up everytime you want to get something new.

That is some folks way of not giving in to temptation and buying fish when they go to the LFS. They have to set up in order to buy. I little self imposed speed bump like that can go a long way with some.

Thanks, Everyone! I suppose I fall into the crowd of leaving it up and running while stocking, but tearing it down, but tearing it down to avoid the impulse buy.
:wink:

We leave ours up all the time too. One benefit (I think) is that always have about 20gals of heated water ready to go (which came in very handy during an overfeeding incident). I assume it's a benefit . . . . Is there any downside to just leaving the water circulating???

Anyway, when we do want to add new fish, we're ready to go (we are not fully stocked, btw)

Back
Top Bottom