QT an anthias?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carey

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just got an email saying that one of my lfs just got in a squareback anthias. BUT because of their dietary issues should I put him in the QT tank or just put him in the established tank that should have enough food for him??

I also have a tomini tang still in the qt with another week to go.

Here's a link on him

Squareback Anthias

I think I may have rushed on the last one as I think he didnt eat at all. But that was over two months ago....The tank now seems to be full of life.

Any input guys? I'll be heading out shortly to go fish/stand/aquaria shopping.....

Do what I do: ask em to hold it for you ;)
What if he is sick and kills everything in ur DT?
I know it's hard... But if they hold it for a week ur QT is ready and u can place him in there
OR you could set up a 2nd QT ;b

I'm worried mostly about his food source. Not necessarily the disease side. This lfs qt's all their fish and runs copper on all their fish tanks, really hi end stuff. They use NSW as well. So I'm not concerned with ich or anything just whether it will starve in a qt which has no micro organisms for it to eat.

Anthias are known to have internal parasite and need to be treated with PraziPro. Copper won't do anything for internal parasites.

I thought the needed a specific diet only found in an established tank. Don't wanna starve him.

IDK ,i never really heard that they need established systems like say a mandarin ,,just that they can be hard to get to eat at first ... Just an FYI:They do prefer dim lit systems too,,or their colors may more than likely fade..
Maybe you could move a few pounds of LR into the QT for it to nip at
They are beautiful though,,i would love to get one someday...maybe

as it turns out the guy that got to the store before me bought it. :-(

Maybe next time.

I just wanted to be sure he was q t'able fish.

Back
Top Bottom