Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-19-2014, 03:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Thanks for all your time! I did not feed anything new; I had been cycling through the same foods the whole time. And live aquaria actually does have a 14 day guarantee, so I just squeezed in there as far as that goes.

Old 03-19-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

Somethingfishy - levels were all 0 (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate) on day 1, SG 1.023 (matched the bag they came in), pH 8.2, Kh 10. I use ro/di water and reef crystals. I have been trying to wrack my brain to think if I could have gotten anything in the water last night, but I just can't think of anything. No meds or chemicals were added at any point. I gave them a new strip of seaweed on the veggie clip, but it was a piece of the same sheet I had been using the whole time. There is a lid on the qt, to prevent jumping from firefish and the like, so don't think anything could have accidentally been sprayed in there. Still trying to replay everything I did last night though to see if I can think of something. If this was preventable I want to prevent it next time!

Old 03-19-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Was there enough oxygen exchange going on? Without surface agitation-which is seen less often in QT- the O2 could have dropped quickly. Hope you can contact live aquaria and see about that guarantee.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:13 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think LA is going to be any help at this point. If it were gas exchange issues the other fish would have had problems. Did you add or change any equipment since the new fish began QT? All fish ate the same foods?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #15

The equipment was the same all the way through, and was the same equipment used when the fish in the dt went through quarantine. The dt fish and qt fish were eating the same foods. I don't have a powerhead in the qt, but the internal filter creates a bit of a current at the surface, I would have thought that would be enough, and none of the previous fish died, but I don't really know how to tell for sure if it's enough. As far as live aquaria, I had a couple inverts die on me during the 14 day period and LA was very helpful; I have a claim in to them now, so hopefully they honor their warranty as well this time.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:23 AM   #16

Just a quick update, in case anyone is considering dealing with live aquaria - they responded to my claim within a few hours and issued a refund, no questions asked. Still don't know why the fish died though. Thank you again for the effort and assistance.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah LA has great customer service, glad they made it right for you
Old 03-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That's amazing customer service. I didn't think they would bother since it was almost two weeks.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:10 PM   #19

Yeah, they've been pretty great any time I've dealt with them. 14 day guarantee on livestock, even CUC and inverts, and 30 day on captive grown coral. Just wish their free shipping order size was a little lower. I'm still fighting with another site to honor their warranty for a DOA coral - I may be a LA only customer at this point.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never bought fish online. I did use reefcleaners for my cuc. Half were doa but RC refunded my whole order. I like that type of company.

Now as to why they died, I'm stuck.

Tags
death, deaths, eat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com