Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I float the bag for 30 min or so and then drip acclimate for approximately one hour. I'm not sure if they were new to the LFS. I thought they were there for a little while but I could be wrong.

The ammonia spiked after a week or two. I was at petclub today and was thinking about getting a 20gal high to use instead of the 10 gal.

I did not locate any discoloration on the dead fish. The one thing I did notice was the mouth of two of them were wide open when they were dead. I had never seen that before, the third one who died looked "normal" with its mouth closed. The only one thats alive has what looks like a sore or a vertical cut on the side of its body. It looks a little white but it does not appear fuzzy or anything like that. Not sure what it is. I will try to get a pic but he wont hold still on that side for very long.

two11devan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 05:53 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus
You can do water changes in the QT to help battle the ammonia spikes.Without a substrate and/or LR, you won't get a completely stable environment. Water changes are used to help with this.

QT is tough sometimes. The fish could be sick before you bring them home. A QT environment is not as good as your display but you don't want to introduce a unwanted parasite to the display if you can help it. A 10 gal can be good in a pinch but the more water volume the easier it is to keep stable.

*180 gal Display, 100 gal basement sump, 33 gal refugium, 3x250 MH, 2x160 VHO actinics, zoos, some softies, LPS & lots of acros and other SPS.
*100 gal prop tank plumbed into main system w/ 2x96 PC lights and 1x150 MH,
ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 03:36 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ironically... I posted on this thread previously. I now have personal experience!

I have a 10g QT, running a Biowheel 100 - just like the original poster. The only difference is that the Biowheel wasn't seeded from my main, but I'd cycled the QT previously. It'd been about a month since there'd been a fish in it, but I'd been "feeding" it with food to keep the bacteria levels up.

10 days ago, I bought three chromis and put in the 10g QT - just like the original poster! The next day, ammonia readings were at 0.25ppm. Surprised, I did a 50% water change, and added a bag Purigen to filter. Each evening, I was getting 0.25-0.50ppm ammonia readings, so I'd do a 50% water change. After 3 days of this, I put about 2 cups of sand from my main into a mesh bag, and put that in my QT. Ammonia levels didn't drop. In a nutshell, I did 50% water changes for 7 days. On the eighth day, my ammonia finally disappeared. I've now gone two days without doing any water changes, and have 0 ammonia and 0 nitrites. Phew...

All through this, the fish have seemed healthy and happy, eating like pigs. They're really nice colored fish, so I didn't want to lose them, so I was scrambling to try and keep the ammonia levels down.

The funny thing is that when I first had the ammonia spike, I searched the forum looking for advice. I found this post. With my own comments.

I guess I'll have to revise my comments: with 3 chromis (3/4 to 1" or so) in a 10g qt with a Biowheel100, you might see a little ammonia spike before things "catch up". I was afraid I'd never catch up and end up doing 5g water changes for a month! Luckily, things finally settled down and everyone seems happy.

(And yes... I've also learned that a 10g QT is on the small side. I remember a few folks tried to tell me that when I was first starting out. )

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com