QT Inverts & LR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNEMO

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read that we should QT inverts. If so, what if anything do we put in the QT tank and for how long do we QT?

Also, if buying cured LR from LFS should we QT it? I need to add a few more lbs. to hide a Tunze Stream PH. If so, do we add anything to the QT tank? How long should we QT LR?

Thanks for the help!

Its always a good idea to qt anything new to the sytem. Inverts usually dont need to be qt as they usually dont bring disease into the system like a fish can.

Live rock if you are certin its fully cured and has no ammonia or nitrite production due to die off can be added to the system after a quick check for undesirable shrimps and crabs. If your not sure that the rock is fully cured then it wont hurt to qt it for a few days till you can establish that it definatly is not producting ammonia or nitrite due to dieoff.

To be honest with you, I have never QT'd inverts, LR or LS. Maybe I've been lucky, but let me just state my concern with QT'ing inverts (LR & LS included).

Most Q tanks are established to not only quarantine, but medicate fish, if necessary. The most commonly used medication is copper. Copper will be retained not only by in-tank decorations, but by any mechanical filtration, and even sometimes the seals on the tank itself. My point is, if the Q tank you use has *ever* been used for copper treatments, you would not be able to use it to QT inverts, as copper is lethal to inverts (this includes all the live organisms found in LR/LS).

I imagine you could maintain or set up a separate quarantine tank for your inverts - but I honestly doubt many ppl would do this.

As far as LR/LS goes, if you suspect it is not fully cured, I would put in in a rubbermaid buckets with a PH and heater, test the A/N/N daily, and do water changes if needed.

JMO,

Back
Top Bottom