QT Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chenzo9999

Aquarium Advice Freak
My QT is a 10 gallon, and I have a 90 gallon DT.

I want to keep a fish in the DT that need 90 gallons - if disease is caused by stress and a small tank stresses (my QT), am I causing more problems than helping?

How long do you QT for?

Do you perform prophylactic treatment?

I have a 0.5 inch YWG and a 2 inch Red Margin Fairy Wrasse in QT for 3 days now.

Large fish can be held in small QTs fo 6-8 weeks with no real issues. If they get sick or anything in that QT then it was probably weak or sick to start. It's not much different then the way the lfs hold and display their large fish. Also, large shipping distributors that import fish tend to quarantine in tanks no larger the 10-15 gallons for even some of the larger fish like angels and tangs.

When I first introduced my 3 inch blue hipo tang in my 60 gal DT it started to get covered with parasites all over in just three days that he can't even reach for food to eat. He laid under the rock all the time. I then decided to move him in my 5 gal QT with same parameter as my DT and with a daily dose of coppersage. The following day he started eating and the ich started to disappear. It's been 2 weeks now and he is getting stronger each day. Another week may be I can move him back to my DT.

When I first introduced my 3 inch blue hipo tang in my 60 gal DT it started to get covered with parasites all over in just three days that he can't even reach for food to eat. He laid under the rock all the time. I then decided to move him in my 5 gal QT with same parameter as my DT and with a daily dose of coppersage. The following day he started eating and the ich started to disappear. It's been 2 weeks now and he is getting stronger each day. Another week may be I can move him back to my DT.

The only problem is that there is still Ich in your DT unless you leave it fallow for six weeks. You are putting a fish right back into an environment that's got Ich just itching to have a host so it can live on. I'd give it more time.

You are also putting a Tang back into an environment that is half the size it should be in. That causes stress. Parasites love stressed fish because of the weakened immune system.

How long does filter media need to sit in a DT before it can be used in the QT?

I had a small HOB filter on the DT for a few weeks that I moved to the QT, but there doesn't seem to be enough bacteria for the nitrification cycle. I am doing 15% water changes every other day to keep up.

How long does filter media need to sit in a DT before it can be used in the QT?

I had a small HOB filter on the DT for a few weeks that I moved to the QT, but there doesn't seem to be enough bacteria for the nitrification cycle. I am doing 15% water changes every other day to keep up.

You can supplement your QT with Nutrafin Cycle. It is a liquid that is full of good bacteria.

Back
Top Bottom