Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

There are other organisms beside ich that can be on fish. Around here, most of the salty stores promote meds that help with worms. I forget the name but it is a de-wormer that is used on other animals.

The President of our local reef club has actually disected dead fish and found worms.

Just an FYI

Old 05-13-2005, 01:50 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ewwwwwwww. I shouldn't have opened this in the midst of eating lunch! Gross!

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
This is why i made this thread just to see comments on others thoughts about QT. From what i have read and heard that all fish carry a dormant ich...that will only come out when a fish is stressed. Ich is a very bad parasite to have in your tank once it is introduced to a tank, it will feed off a single fish, then fall to into the water/sand/rock to reproduce. Im not sure If a UV sterilizer would actually remove all the ich or just the spawn in the water colom. (which would help significantly) After the ich spawns its multiplied X4 then it tries to find a host to feed off again. Without a host it will die in about a month time. If the fish is already sick i can see why to QT with ich, bacteria, or parasites. But if you purchase a healthy fish and then QT him by himself..then you drop him into a tank thats 10 times as big with other fish, IMO that fish is going to get severly stress. Especially consider the fact that he has had his "own" tank for 4-6 weeks. Worms on the other hand is actually fairly common throughout a fish's life. But can be deadly also. But QT a fish isnt going to tell you that he has worms. And giving meds only weakens a fish's immune system. Just some food for thought!
Old 05-13-2005, 04:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok first off Ich is not caused by stress. A fish that has ich that has no signs of it may show signs when stressed. Anything wet needs to be put in qt IMO. From now on all LR, coral, inverts will be put into a qt at my home. The coral and LR will be put in a place that has proper lighting to sustain health for a period of no less than 4 weeks, more than likely more. If your tank is fishless for a period of 6 weeks or more all the ich will die. Then if everything you add is put through the qt process your main will remain ichless. After 4 weeks you should be able to tell if a fish has something in qt. Also no rock or coral will be in qt with a fish at anytime. Therefore when the time is up I'll no that ich could not have survived without a fish host.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Some worms are on the outside. The LFS store here that dose theit FO tanks has said they see the parasite drop off the body. Internal worms won't necessarily kill the fish but they might not get the nutrition needed and they can pass the worm to other fish by their waste.

As for ich, you can wait till it breaks out and then remove all fish to a QT but tearing down a reef is not fun
Old 05-13-2005, 04:44 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
As for ich, you can wait till it breaks out and then remove all fish to a QT but tearing down a reef is not fun Sad
A statement of wisdom that I am far to familiar with....
Old 05-13-2005, 05:14 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Again, QTing a fish for 4 weeks isn't going to ensure that they aren't carrying ich. Just that they aren't showing symptoms. If they stay in QT and don't become symptomatic and then you transfer them to your main you could still be transferring ich into your main. The only way you'll know that you're ichless is if you hypo or cupramine all of your fish prior to putting them into your main. How many of us are doing *that*?

I agree that a 6w QT of all inverts and corals would allow for the proper die off of the parasite but just QTing a fish isn't going to prevent infestation in your main unless you treat them while they're there.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2005, 12:37 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, I've just added 2 peppermint shrimp, which I drip acclimated, and shouldn't have done it.. They didn't look all that good(lying on their backs kicking) I just thought "stress maybe", so I dripped 'em for a few hours and dropped em in.. well they died and I had to take them out.. and after reading horror stories about parasites and other whatnots, I believe I"m gonna start qt everything from here on out..I bought some snails and dropped them in, hope they didn't carry anything with em...
Old 05-15-2005, 02:40 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
Invertabrates are the most sensitive to water quality. May not have been your water since you say they were on their back in the bag most likely it was from shippment and water quality issues not QT.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:27 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Watching the fish for a while in the lfs seems to be one way lots of you try to get healthy fish, make sure they're eating, etc. I am going to have to buy mostly on-line (not much choice of lfs around here). Do you tend to get healthy fish on-line? There's no way to choose individuals! Is quarantine more important if you've bought on-line, or would all these pros and cons be the same?

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com