Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2005, 04:23 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via MSN to gooyferret Send a message via Yahoo to gooyferret
QT questions....and thoughts?!

Well i have had alot of fish in my days, and have never quarantined fish. Questions i have:
Why move from one tank (LFS for example) to another the QT, then to the main display? Generally fish will get ich (most peoples biggest concern) if stressed. Now i would understand the QT for a sick fish when purchased or bought online to cure the disease before the introduction of the main tank. If a healthy fish is bought and put into QT and continues to be healthy throughout the QT process, then the move to the main tank could cause stress just as easily as the QT introduction would. For every advantage that i find for the QT process i find a disadvantage also. I do understand the reason for it if the fish gets sick in the main tank the the QT is good. But on the other hand you could then quarantine the fish to better health with cooper and other medications. But cooper is what is killing the bacteria or disease not the fish immune system. Making the next introduction in the main tank less of a chance since the fish immune system is lower. What do you all think....Pros and Cons of QT??

Old 05-13-2005, 08:41 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'm a huge fan of QT . I don't think anyone can know that a fish is healthy when they bring them home. The car ride home itself could stress'm out. New environment, new food maybe, new tankmates, different water parameters could also stress'm out. I've been burned by adding a new fish directly to my main with 12 other fish and 100 lbs of rock. New fish had a latent issue obviously.

Killed 9 fish inside of 2 weeks.

Some folks (IMO) have had incredible luck not QTing fish. I think it was just that - incredible luck.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 11:00 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have my questions about QT too. Just because you have QTd a fish and they didn't exhibit ich then (nor ever since) does that mean that ich is not in your main? I'm starting to wonder. I have very healthy fish and always have. Does that mean that there's no ich in my main? Nope. I'm afraid that isn't what it means. Unless you treat each fish you get with hypo or copper how can you ensure that you don't end up with ich in your main? My perfectly healthy 8w QTd purple tang has what I'm fearing might well be ich again. I know he didn't have it going in to that tank and he's been in there for 2 full weeks now with no spots. Last night I noticed what I'm afraid is an ich spot. I'm not sure that's what it is yet (but of course I fear the worst). Curing it won't guarentee that I don't get it again the next time I add a perfectly healthy fish to my system.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Is there any benefit by having a skimmer in the QT? I have a BakPak CPR that's just sitting there doing nothing... trying to find something to do with it!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:33 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

You could ship it to me . Skimming really does not have much to do with ich. It keeps the water sleaner which helps keep the fish happier (less stress, less chance of ich) But as for getting rid of the ich no it does not help. A UV sterilizer does though.

I agree on the ich being in the main tank already. If you add live rock you are adding all sorts of things above and beyond your unwanted hitch hikers you can see. I can bet you also have just added ich and other parasites as well. Now your tank has it and you have not even added fish yet. You qt your first fish then put him in a tank of GOOD water?????? Nope the ich is on the rock waiting for your fish. Please correct me if I'm wrong about it coming on rock or other things you add to the tank. (maybe corals????) I have yet to qt a fish and have not had a problem, neighbor down the street qt's all fish, ich 3 times in 4 years. Coincidence, he got ich, probably. Coincidence I have not, probably. But why stress the fish out even more. Sorry for the RANT.
Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: QT questions....and thoughts?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooyferret
If a healthy fish is bought and put into QT and continues to be healthy throughout the QT process, then the move to the main tank could cause stress just as easily as the QT introduction would.
8O I never considered that possibility. What if the conditions in your QT are BETTER than in your main? That might make things worse. I'm 100% all in for doing what is right... just never thought of some of these issues. I'm interested to hear more of what people have to say!
Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anything that comes from a system that isn't fishless (ie: the ocean, someone else's tank, etc) can be carrying ich as well as other unwanted parasites. Very true.

I've upped my garlic and selcon doses as well as an increased feeding regimen. I may even add ground ginger to the mix and cross my fingers that it just goes away without turning into a full case of ich (there are already 3 skunks and a UV on the tank). My other fish are clearly strong enough to be resistant right now. I'll forever be adding corals and frags and whatnot from fellow reefers tank. Each time I do that I risk reinfection. I don't have the lighting to be QTing my coral purchases too... so then what? *sigh*.

I will continue QT my fish and still have my anthias in QT (2w so far). I believe you're better off doing QT for other reasons: watching the fish eat, making sure that they're healthy and strong and because there are much more terrible things than ich to deal with that I don't want in my tank, but I'm not convinced that keeping ich out of your main is a valid reason to QT.

rant rant rant...

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

See, I MORE than see the need for a QT to treat a sick fish with copper, etc. What if you needed to QT a coral? *gasp* 8O does that mean you'd have to buy a PC/VHO lighting setup for your QT too?? I heard somewhere that one drop of copper could ruin an entire main setup... is this true? If so, when you take your fish out of a copper treatment, do you have to "wash" the fish off?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

if u don't want the skimmer i'll take it off your hands for ya. lol
Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

OOOOOOPPPPSSSSS . Can of worms, pandora's box AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I agree there are worse things than ich. I never buy a fish without seeing it eat in the store. I also watch the fish store very closely. I am there at least 3 times a week to look at their tanks and to get an idea of what fish are healthy and what the clerks are doing for the fish. If there is something that I could see wrong with the fish or they aren't eating I don't buy!!! I know most people are not as anal about thier fish purchases as I am but I'm not about to spend the type of money saltwater cost without knowing the fish is healthy and eating. But I also know that my tank is not free of bacteria and ich. So as long as it is not currently showings signs and eating, no reason to stress out more.

Oscar Wilde
MYTY1705 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com