qt solution...hopefully

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quarryshark

Aquarium Advice Addict
Due to the high ammonia of my 40 Gallon qt tank with my below stock. I was forced to find a solution to make it hopefully managable. I was able to increase the volume of water by about 15 gallons, if need be I can add at least another 10 gallons to it. I had to put plastic parts under the return pump to raise it. This way if the overflow fails, the flood won't be too bad. 8O
I will go to home depot to try and find something better tomorrow.
After running for a couple of hours, I check my ammonia and it dropped from 1.5 down to .25. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Just thought I would share this.

Great idea! I'm still trying to grasp the idea of a sump. I have read, and read. How are your fish Qshark? :wink:

Well, that is a makeshift sump above. Basically a gravity drain into a container and a pump to return it to the main.
The fish are doing Ok. I have the salinity down to treatment level. There are a few spots, but they are all eating and active.
I was just very concerned about the ammonia.
BTW, please excuse the mess. I set this up in the childrens play area in the basement, toys everywhere. :)

I think the fish gods are punishing us for playing in the ocean while our fish stayed behind :wink:

Nitrate said:
I think the fish gods are punishing us for playing in the ocean while our fish stayed behind :wink:

Must be. Life is not fair sometime eh?

Looks like my plan is working. I increase my 40 gallon to a 65 gallon. Here are the basic numbers.
ph 8.1
ammonia trace.. :) (yellow tint finally)
spg .009
Everyone is eating great and seem not to be stressing too much.
Knock on wood, looks like we are on the road to recovery and no losses. :|

Back
Top Bottom