Qt tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris-Nicol

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I kind of jumped in the deep end with keepin marine fish and have just been getting advice from friends but they have never mentioned a qt tank! What is it for? I've read some threads on here and I'm gettin mixed ideas!

Any help would be great!

Chris-Nicol said:
Hi, I kind of jumped in the deep end with keepin marine fish and have just been getting advice from friends but they have never mentioned a qt tank! What is it for? I've read some threads on here and I'm gettin mixed ideas!

Any help would be great!

I'm mostly FW, but a QT is for keeping new fish in to monitor for illness/disease before adding them into your tank.

In SW most fish are wild caught. They can bring in all sorts of disease and parasites into the tank. Methods of catching them can be iffy, some are actually poisoned so they can be caught others are darted. Either method can cause problems it is best to make sure the fish is eating well and not losing weight. Ich is a common parasite that can be difficult treat and some fish are more likely to get it than others.

A couple of stores in my area quarantine fish for 2 weeks all that tells me they don't want to battle some of the diseases in their systems but that doesn't mean it takes care of all the diseases and parasites.

It is better to buy tank raised fish they are more expensive but less likely to have problems. Only a few species are tank raised right now.

Back
Top Bottom