Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Qt tank

Hi, I kind of jumped in the deep end with keepin marine fish and have just been getting advice from friends but they have never mentioned a qt tank! What is it for? I've read some threads on here and I'm gettin mixed ideas!

Any help would be great!

Old 04-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Nicol
Hi, I kind of jumped in the deep end with keepin marine fish and have just been getting advice from friends but they have never mentioned a qt tank! What is it for? I've read some threads on here and I'm gettin mixed ideas!

Any help would be great!
I'm mostly FW, but a QT is for keeping new fish in to monitor for illness/disease before adding them into your tank.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

And also for breeding, or for fish you might want to remove. (too aggressive usually)
Old 04-13-2011, 10:44 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

In SW most fish are wild caught. They can bring in all sorts of disease and parasites into the tank. Methods of catching them can be iffy, some are actually poisoned so they can be caught others are darted. Either method can cause problems it is best to make sure the fish is eating well and not losing weight. Ich is a common parasite that can be difficult treat and some fish are more likely to get it than others.

A couple of stores in my area quarantine fish for 2 weeks all that tells me they don't want to battle some of the diseases in their systems but that doesn't mean it takes care of all the diseases and parasites.

It is better to buy tank raised fish they are more expensive but less likely to have problems. Only a few species are tank raised right now.

Tags
qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com