Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
QT Tank

Ok guys, I've been hearing more and more about how important this is...the thing is, I don't have the money to set up a whole other tank besides my already existing one (no fish yet) just as a QT tank-I do have an empty , never been used 25 gal aquarium...but to make it a QT tank, I will need a heater and filter..etc right? I dont really have the money at the moment to get all that big stuff again...can i set up a cheap but still efficient QT tank ??

ImLookinForNemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 05:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Heater - they're usually only about $20-$25 ... if you have more than one in the main tank, try borrowing one from there, just make sure the main tank's temp doesn't drop.

Filter - buy a cheapo power/sponge filter (petsmart has cheapy top fin ones) or a whisper. They're about $30. Or, find someone with some hanging out. You'd be surprised, I have 2 whisper 40s and a pengiun biowheel just hanging out from past tanks, so I'll be set for my QT. Point is, you never know what people have, so ask any friends you have that are into fish. If you need to wait to have the $55 or so it'll cost, I'd recommend waiting. It's definitely worth it.

As far as everything else, just something for them to hide, and you don't even NEED a substrate, from what I've read. Just keep it clean and don't overfeed. There's a good article on a QT tank in the articles section. It's here:
http://<a href="http://www.aquariuma...fldAuto=17</a>

125 gallon saltwater: 55gal sump, 4 Blue-Green Chromis, Purple Tang, True Perc, Firefish, Royal Gramma, 5 Ricordea, Bubble Coral, 15 Pulsing Xenia, Green Star Polyps, Deresa clam, Green-Tip Torch Coral (about 11 "heads"!), Orange Montipora Cap, Purple M. Digitata, Green Slimer Acro. Yongei, 3 Orange M. Digitata, Pink&Green Acro. Millepora
dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 07:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular
Check out E-bay too. It's not always easy to get a good deal that way, but I managed to get my $80 filter for $40 after shipping. Just watch the shipping, alot of times you can find stuff cheaper on online stores, cause the sellers make a nice margin on their shipping.
Life looks better on the other side of the glass.
utahcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 12:01 AM   #4
A QT tank should be in most cases, able to put up and tear down and sanitized when finished using it.. You can get a heater for under $20.00 and a HOB filter for under $20.00 and a couple pieces of 4" or 2" pieces of PVC for hiding places for under $5.00...You don't really need much light so an ordinary hood or shoplight will do for short periods just make sure you put a screen on top to keep the fish from jumping if you don't have a light hood.....Or, you can go to Wal-Mart and get a whole 10gal kit complete for 29.99... he he works great... and has everything you need...
Old 01-24-2004, 06:48 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular
thanks! ill look into that
ImLookinForNemo is offline   Reply With Quote

qt tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com